Chapter 4

Traffic isn't that bad today. I'm driving my car to the edge of the city to meet with Devin at the sandwich shop. I sigh. I wish I could've found a job I could've applied for. Kinda sucks.
I tried to make myself look somewhat decent. Fur is kinda brushed, but my eyes are still a bit red. My blue jeans and hoodie look alright, but I don't have much fancy attire.
Sandwich shop. I pull into the practically empty parking lot. The building looks like it used to be a diner. A neon open sign glows, inviting me inside.
I step out of my car and look around. There's three other cars here besides mine. I'm guessing one of them is Devin's. I walk up to the glass door and open it, feeling a warm blast of heat from inside.
There are booths here and there, and a table for a party of furs in the middle of the restaurant.
"Hi, how are you?" a lioness says, who I'm assuming is a waitress
"Um, I'm good." I look around the restaurant for Devin, but he's nowhere in sight.
"I can take you to your seat." she says with a smile. Her nametag on her uniform says Cherie. "Table or booth?"
"Booth." She walks me over to a both in the corner of the restaurant. I sit down and she hands me a menu, which is brand new. There are so many sandwiches to pick from.
Just because Devin is running late doesn't mean I have to wait on him. I decide on a BLT, which looked delicious on the menu. About fifteen minutes go by and Devin still isn't here yet. I stare out the window, daydreaming. "Your BLT." I hear someone say. I turn and see Devin, handing me my food.
"Sorry I didn't come out earlier, I couldn't see you in the corner from the kitchen." He sits down across from me, twiddling his thumbs.
"You didn't tell me you worked here." I say, picking up my BLT.
"Figured I'd surprise ya. You sleep good last night?" he asks.
I shake my head. "Not really. I haven't been sleeping well for a while now."
"Hm." he says. "You still needing a job?"
I nod, trying to finish the sandwich in my mouth.
"You wanna work here?" he asks. That gets my attention. "We're always hiring, and we need some help since we just opened."
I nod, happy I'm being offered a job. I finish my sandwich, leaving a few crumbs on my plate. "Is that why you wanted me to meet you up here? To offer me a job?" I ask.
"Kinda. I had work, but I still wanted to make sure you were ok." he answers. "That sandwich good?"
"Fantastic." I smile.
"Great. Well, if you don't need anything else, I gotta get back in the kitchen." he says, standing up. "You can start working in a week. I can bring you your uniform."
"Ok, sounds good. Thanks." I stand up and walk out of the restaurant, still smiling.
This is the first time I've smiled in a while. Feels good.
I drive back home and sit down on my couch. I've had a good day today. I had the best sandwich of my life, AND got a job!
My phone rings. I pick it up and look at the caller I. D. It's my dad. I hesitate, but I let it it keep ringing.
Don't want him ruining my day.