Chapter 6

Work was great.
Or, it was about as great as being a new waiter can be. Cherie claims it will get easier as time goes on. I hope she's right, because I almost spilled two drinks on a couple I was serving. I'm glad I didn't, because then I wouldn't have gotten a $3 tip.
Devin emerges from the kitchen, dark splotches covering his apron. He walks over to the front door, switching the little sign on the window from 'OPEN' to 'CLOSED'.
He reaches behind his neck, untieing his apron. He sets it on a table beside him. His apron could've worked better, because his white t-shirt has dark splotches on it too.
"How was it?" he asks cheerfully.
"I'm not gonna lie, it was a bit stressful. But I liked it." I say, realizing how exhausted I was.
He sits down in a booth, and motions me to sit with him. I plop down on the bouncy seat, happy to be sitting down.
Devin was buff. His t-shirt was a little too small, revealing his muscular chest and shoulders. The black and blue fur on his head is messy, but still looks decent. His hazel eyes were beautiful to look at.
"Sooo..." he starts, leaning forward a bit. "How is everything going?" he asks.
"It's going better I guess." I reply. I feel my phone start to vibrate. I place my paw on top of it, trying to hide the humming sound. I didn't do a good job, because Devin speaks up.
"You can take that if you need. I can start cleaning tables." he says.
"Uh..." I look down at my phone and see who's calling. Mom. I hesitate, but I decide I need to tell her about everything. "Ok, I'll be outside."
I hold the phone up to my ear, walking outside for privacy.
"Err, hey mom." I say, trying not to sound awkward.
"Jacob, about time you answered." she says. She doesn't sound upset. "How are you doing?" she asks.
"I'm doing good. I heh, actually got a job. As a waiter." I say.
"Hey, that's good! You like it?" She asks.
"Yeah. I'm actually helping close up the restaurant." I say.
"Oh, I'll let you go then if you gotta finish up work." She says. "Call me sometime please."
"O-okay." I choke out. "I'll call you again soon. Goodnight." I hang up the phone and feel tears fill my eyes. I missed Mom so much. I missed talking to her, I missed hugging her.
I couldn't hold it together. I stood in the parking lot, tears rolling down my face. I missed them so much. I missed my mom, my dad, my little sister.
I hear the door open behind me. Devin walks up to me and puts his paw on my shoulder. "You can go on home if you'd like." he offers. "I'll close up."
I nod. "Thank you." I say, walking to my car. I drive out of the parking lot and pull into my driveway. I fall into bed, still crying. I know one thing for sure.
I'm not getting any sleep tonight, pills or no pills.