Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The next day I got to college thirty minutes early. The weather outside was dark, cold, and glum...just like my mood. I didn't feel like dressing up today so I just put on a pair of old sweats and a plain light purple t-shirt. My hair was tied up and I was make-up less. When I looked at myself in the mirror in the morning, I looked like a whole different person...well, the old Leah who didn't care about how she looked. It's not like I don't care how I look now, but after hearing about Dad's cancer, it didn't feel appropriate dressing up. I wasn't even in the mood to talk to Chad who texted me ten times and called me six times since last night. He was really worried so I decided I should call him. He picked up right away.

"Leah, where were you? Are you okay?" I could hear the concern in his voice and can picture his eyebrows furrowed.

"Yeah..i'm sorry. I was having some family issues." I replied quiety.

"Family issues? Is everything alright? Do you need to talk? Your voice sounds depressed?" he said all in one breath.

"I'll talk to you about it in person." I replied simply.

"Okay. You at college? I'll be there in like 5 minutes max." I checked the time, I still had alot of time until class.

"I'm waiting outside."

After he hung up, I sat on the bench outside and put my books down. There were a few people just standing around talking and staring at me. I decided to open up my English textbook and skim throught it just to make it seem like i'm doing something. Right when I picked up the book, I heard a loud, cheery voice, "Hi!"

I looked up to see a tall, slender girl with very long and perfectly curly, light orange hair and big brown eyes. She was wearing an oversized maroon sweatshirt over black tights. I don't think i've seen her around.

"Hey." I replied in a dead voice.

"You know me? I'm Melanie! I'm in your creative writing class. I sit right behind you." she was awfully jumpy I noticed. I didn't even know who was sitting behind me in that class. I guess I didn't bother to notice her that day because I was too busy trying to figure out that Jake guy but she didn't need to know that.

"Oh yeah!" I exclaimed forcing a small smile, my voice still sounding mellow.

She smiled wide and looked down at the bench where my books were spread out, "Mind if I sit here?"

I nodded and moved my books over to me. She sat down and put her purse down. "Sorry, were you going to study?" she asked staring at the book in my lap. I put the book down on the bench.

"No, I was just bored."

"Oh. Well now i'm here to entertain you!" she laughed. "What's your name by the way?"

"Leah." I replied a little too bluntly. Melanie didn't seem to notice though.

"Nice. You can call me Mel! I'm a freshman and as you can see I like being very social. I recognized you right away so I thought i'd introduce myself. You seemed quite lonely!" she chattered happily.

Her cheerful personality made me smile. "I'm a freshman too. And actually I was waiting for my...b- uh friend." Uh-oh I almost slipped out boyfriend.

"Ohhhhh. Is that him?" she asked looking past my shoulder. I turned around and saw Chad walking over to our bench, smiling widely with his hands in his pockets. He waved over at me. I waved back awkwardly.

"Woah, he's cute!" Mel remarked. I turned to look at her dazed expression. It made me want to laugh.

"Hey Leah. Hey..um?" he looked at Mel questionably.