Chapter 4

Dedicated to skydancer for taking her time to give me great advice and feeback :) thnks!!

Chapter 4

Once I got home, I plopped onto the couch and took a deep breath. It seems like it's been such a long day. Suddenly my cell started vibrating beneath me. I reached into my pocket and took it out. It was Hannah.

"Hey girl!" her voice was excited yet sleepy.

"Hey you sound sleepy?"

She laughed and let out a big yawn, "Yeah, I slept in today. I just woke up and I knew you'd be back from college so I had to give you a ring. How was your first day! You gotta tell me all the deets!"

Hannah is one person I would never be tired of talking to. We've been best friends since 1st grade and we always told each other everything about our lives. She is always there for me and I am always there for her. I'm so lucky to have her around but unfortunately she'll moving out of state next week for college so I won't be able to see her as much. We had already promised each other we'd always keep in touch and that she'd come visit as often as possible. Well, anyways I told her everything about my day, not leaving out anything. She gasped when I described Chad.

"Oh my gosh! He sounds like a hottieee!! You guys have to hook up! He walked you to class, gave you his number and said you're DIFFERENT? AAAHH!!" she yelled into the phone. I had to move it away from my ear. I could imagine her jumping up and down. My face got hot.

"Hannah, it's not that serious. He's just a guy. I'm not interested." That was a total lie and I knew Hannah would know.

"Yeah, sure you're not! That's why you desribed his eyes being dreamy and his touch being warm against your skin. Please Leah don't lie to your best friend. He sounds so much better than Nick at least." Suddenly my voice got caught in my throat. That name has bad memories. Hannah immediately realized what she said, "Oh, i'm so sorry....I didn't mean to-"

"It's ok." I cut her off, "it's the past and i've moved on." My mood suddenly got mellow. Hannah seemed to noticed the mellowness in my voice.

"Ok, anyways... how about Jake? Why was he acting so mysterious?"

"I seriously don't know. I was trying to help him but he was being so stubborn about it. I mean I felt bad for him that he was in a wheelchair. He seemed severely depressed."

"Aww. Well don't worry for him too much; worry about that hottie Chad! Get to know him real well! I have a feeling he will ask you out!"

I moaned, "Hannah, i'm scared." I then thought again about Nick. Sophomore year I was asked out by a really popular guy named Nick Carlson. He was good looking, smart, and sweet. I was totally shocked because I wasn't even hot or anything. Those few months I was the happiest girl alive until I found out he was just using me to get to one of my good friends Lisa. Figures. Lisa was one of the hottest gals in school. Lisa and him cheated on me behind my back and I would have never found out unless Lisa came crying to me one day telling me about everything. I was furious and hurt. Nick never even bothered to aknowledge me after the whole incident. Lisa apologized to me about a hundered times so I eventually forgave her. After that, I haven't dated anyone because I was scared that i'd be used again. Hannah tried hooking me up with random guys but I was never ready for another relationship.

"Don't be." Hannah said with a warm voice, "This time will be different.Take a chance, alright? But at the same time, be careful. Again i'm saying to get to know Chad really well first."

"Ok." I mumbled.

"Well anyways, I gotta go freshen up. I'll text you later. And text Chad, Ok?"

I laughed, "Alright. Will do. Bye."

After hanging up I debated on whether I should text Chad. I mean, I didn't want to seem too desperate but he did say to text him. I reached into my pocket and pulled out his number.

 Hey Chad, it's Leah.

I typed with alot of hesitaion. I quickly sent it and waited. Not even ten seconds later I got a reply.

Hey Leah! I'll save ur number. How were ur classes?

Pretty good..i guess lol.

Haha. Do u have class tomm?

Yup. Two again.

Me too. Listen you wanna go out for lunch with me? My last class ends at 12.

I felt butterflies in my stomach. Lunch? With Chad. Should I go or not? I mean I don't even know him that well but what's the harm? He's a nice guy and Hannah did say to get to know him so this can be a start!

Sure. Mine ends around that time too.

Ok it's a date! I'll meet u at the main door alright?

Ok sounds good.

Well see ya tomm Leah.

See ya.

After sending the last text, I jumped up from the couch and immediately dialed Hannah's number.

"AAAAHHHH!" I yelled into the phone right after she said hey.

"Leah? Are you okay?" her voice was full of concern.

"Guess who has a lunch date with Chad tommorrow?" I exclaimed.

"OH MY GOSH! LEAH! I'm so happy! But, you just met him today. Don't you think it's a bit too early?

"Yeah..but you did say for me to get know him, didnt you? "

She laughed," Okay whatever floats your boat. Well have fun and tell me all about it tommorrow!"

I laughed, "Definitely. Bye!"

After hanging up, I danced around the room. It's been a while since I've felt this happy!

Later that night at dinner, Mom and Brandon were asking me questions as if I were on some quiz show. How was the walk there? Did you get lost? Did you get late? Did you make friends? What did you do in your classes? Dad just sat there quietly chowing down his pasta. Of course he dosen't care. I answered all thier questions in like one sentence. Mom got worried when I told her I couldn't find my classes.

"I was fine, Mom." I assured her. "A guy named Chad helped me get to class." I think my face turned red so I put it down.

Mom and Brandon looked at each other and smiled. "Oh really. Well that was very kind of Chad." Mom said. I could tell by her voice she was still smiling. I kept my face down.

"Leah LIKES Chad! OOOOOOOO!!!" Brandon cooed making googly eyes.

"I do not! Shut up!" I yelled kicking his foot under the table.

"OW!" he yelped.

"Enough!" Dad yelled getting up from the table. "I work 9 hours each day and come home to even more stress. Maybe I should just live at work instead. Does anyone bother asking me how my day went? No! Because no one cares about me, that's why!" There he goes again. He slammed his dishes in the sink and stomped out of the kitchen.

Mom cleared her throat, "Kids, hurry up and finish your dinner and please don't make any more noise. Your dad is really tired. I have to get back to work in a bit. Leah don't you have tutoring to do today?"

"No. They start tommorrow." I sighed pulling away my plate. Why does Dad have to ruin everyone's moods?

"Mom, you're working late again?" Brandon moaned picking at his pasta.

"Yes, it's nothing new Brandon." Mom stared down at her food.

Suddenly we all lost our appetite...that is nothing new either.