Chapter 15

"Would you like something to drink?" Nick offered after we stepped into his apartment.

Truth is, I still felt a bit awkward being there, again. Not that I didn't want to be. I simply didn't feel comfortable after the events that took place on my last visit, especially after my meltdown just moments before. I nodded at his question after he cleared his throat, prompting for my response. He went in the kitchen while I settled on the sectional, trying my best to stop thinking about the way he made me feel in this very room.

Nick emerged holding two glasses of wine. Was this man trying to get me drunk or what? He walked over to me and extended one for me to take. I did, without making eye contact and took a small sip. With the way Nick seemed to read my mind, I didn't want him to see what I was thinking. Blushing at my thoughts, I met his eyes. A smirk instantly appeared on his face.

"Lie down," he demanded. I hesitated at his authoritative tone. "Please," he gently added.

Obeying his command, I gently placed the glass of wine on the side table and lay down. He reached for the hem of my blouse, once again, lifting it slowly. I closed my eyes to avoid the expression I knew he would make at the sight of my bruise. A cold sensation caused me to flinch and my eyes snapped open in response. Was that ice he was putting on me?

"Relax and let this do its magic." He smiled followed by a wink.

"Don't you think it's too late for that?"

"Not at all, now hold it there for a while." He turned around to grab a bottle of pain killers off the coffee table. After pouring two pills into the palm of his hand, he brought them toward my mouth. "Take these to help with the pain."

"It really doesn't hurt, Nick. Besides, why are you taking care of me?" I had to ask. I was not expecting this from him. I took the pills into my mouth, sipping the wine to swallow them. Water would have been better, but I was not about to send him back to the kitchen.

"Because you deserve to be taken care of, beautiful," he clarified.

Beautiful?

I loved the way those words sounded coming from his mouth. That mouth which had a way of making me get lost in passion. That mouth of his I desperately craved at that moment.

He reached out his hand to rub his thumb over my lips. He either read my mind or we must've really been in tune with one another. He got off the ottoman and sat beside me while I lay there, staring into his eyes. I tried to think of something to say in order to break the silence, but I couldn't form any words.

We stayed that way for a few seconds until he slowly leaned down, his lips finding their way to mine. Not that I minded, but I didn't even protest; instead, I opened my mouth as an invitation. I knew I was playing with fire, but I couldn't resist anymore. For him, was ready to burn.

At first, he kissed me gently, his tongue slow dancing with mine. Butterflies started to flutter in my stomach, my chest swelling with happiness, putting my worries at ease. However, the tenderness didn't last for long as passion took over and he cupped my face, our kiss slowly deepening with intensity. The feelings coursing through my body had me feeling drunk off him. Slowly, he eased his hand on my hair, tugging my head back slightly, just enough to expose my neck. I was a goner, lost in the moment when he suddenly pulled back causing my lips to mourn the loss.

Please, don't stop.

Instantly, the warmth of his breath was on my skin with the tender bites he trailed from my chin down to my neck before he stopped. Again.

His eyes closed, he inhaled deeply, taking in my scent and holding it for a moment. When he opened his eyes again, I squirmed at the brief flash of carnal desire beaming through the emeralds I'd come to love staring into. He stood momentarily, causing my heart slight pain from the distance. I didn't understand why I was feeling so disappointed all of a sudden. The uncertainty made me feel uncomfortable, almost guilty.