Chapter 4

"Hey, I never got to ask what happened with Mr. Rossi the other day," Leslie asked as I set my purse on my desk and took a seat. "That man gives me the creeps."

"Why would he give you the creeps? I mean, I can see why everyone is intimidated by him, but the creeps? I think that's a bit exaggerated." I laughed at the expression on her face. Her eyes were about to pop out of their sockets.

"I'm not exaggerating. I mean, he's a total hunk and all, but the way he carries himself just screams for you to run as far away as possible."

I dismissed her ridiculous statement.

"What?" She still looked astonished. "Give it a few days and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. He is way too dark and mysterious for my taste."

"A little mystery is good sometimes." Why I defended him was beyond my understanding.

"Exactly - sometimes." She turned back to her computer screen.

I did the same and worked on my stack of cases.

I was completely consumed with work when five o'clock snuck up on me. I only noticed when Leslie bolted out saying she was going to be late for her class.

As I gathered my things to leave, there was a light knock on the door. "Come in," I said while slinging my purse over my shoulder.

"Hey there, I'm glad I caught you before you left." It was James Cohen. "Sorry I haven't checked up on you. I was at mediation all day and just finished up about half an hour ago."

"It's okay; I know you're a busy man." I smiled.

"Have you settled in yet?" he asked while looking over my shoulder at my desk.

"Pretty much. I spent the day trying to get familiar with the cases and organizing some things."

I tensed at the sound of a familiar voice right outside the door.

"Well, that's great. I won't hold you up since you're ready to leave. Tomorrow, we can go over some of your assignments." He nodded with a curt smile and turned to leave.

"Perfect, I'll stop by your office in the morning. Have a good evening, sir."

The deep, unmistakable voice that lingered outside my door, sending chills through my body, belonged to Nicholas. I stood frozen in the middle of the room, reminiscing on all my thoughts of him over these past few days—his tall frame, the delicious scent of musk that enveloped me when he walked into the same room and how heat blazed through his eyes when he spoke.

After a few minutes, I gathered my things and opened the door. The moment I stepped out, I was greeted by the emerald greens that had been haunting me. He stood against the wall with that sexy grin of his, turning my legs into gelatin.

Damn, he was so gorgeous.

"Hey there. How's my newest acquisition?" he asked, his eyes burning into mine. I could only stare at him blankly, as my heart beat wildly against my chest. Was he there just to see me? "Here's your metro pass and building badge."

Well, that answered my question. You're so stupid, Tara. Did you really think the man didn't have better things to do than to stand around waiting for you?

"Thank you, Mr. Rossi. You didn't have to deliver them to me personally. You could have simply left them with the receptionist or something." I was only trying to be polite but truth was, he could drop by any time he wanted.

"It was no trouble, besides I wanted to get a report on your first week." He winked.

Oh, my God, he did not just wink at me. "A report?"

"Yes, let me buy you a cup of coffee and you can fill me in on your first few days." He ran a hand though his hair, causing his sleeve to roll up slightly. That's when I caught a glimpse of color on his wrist. Tattoos? My eyes widened at the realization. Anyone who knew me well, knew I was a sucker for tattoos, especially on a man as sexy as this one.

I cleared my throat, trying to get any inappropriate thoughts out of my head.

"Do you always express this much interest in all your new employees?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"A little feisty there, Ms. Gianakos?" He cocked his eyebrow. "And no, I do not. You should consider yourself special."

What?

"Come on, let's go." He led me by the wrist toward the elevator as I followed obediently, until I noticed one of the girls from the office staring at us. When our eyes met, she gave me an evil death glare. I immediately jerked my arm from Nicholas' grip.

He turned, looked down at my hand, and then met my eyes with a penetrating stare.

"Look, I don't mean to be rude, Mr. Rossi, or to turn down your invitation, but I have to go home. I have to go make dinner for my... for someone."

His lip twitched. "I didn't see a ring on your finger, so I assumed you didn't have someone to answer to."

"Answer to?" I shook my head. "No, I'm not married, but I do have a boyfriend and we live together."

"Give him a call and tell him you have to stay a little late since it's your first week." He continued toward the elevators.

"I don't know what kind of girl you take me for, but I'm not going to call my boyfriend and lie to him. Besides, this is completely unprofessional." He stopped dead in his tracks and turned to face me.

As much as I didn't want to do this, I had to. What if he was testing my professionalism? It was either that or he was completely insane. He might have everyone else at the firm jumping at his command, but I would not be one of those people. As much as I had to respect him for being my boss, and as attracted as I was to him, what he was asking, no, more like expecting, was completely crossing the line.

"You're right. It is very unprofessional of me to invite my new employee for a cup of coffee just to ask how she felt on her first few days at my firm." He chuckled, making me even more nervous.

"That's not what I meant, Mr. Rossi. I just—"

"No need to explain," he cut me off. "I'll see you tomorrow, Tara." Oh, now he was on a first name basis again. "Have a good evening and drive home safely." He nodded and walked in the opposite direction.

With words left unsaid, I got in the elevator, feeling a sudden wave of regret. Regret for turning down the man who caused me to feel something for the first time in years. Especially, to turn him down for Alex, who didn't deserve a drop of my loyalty.