Chapter 22 (Nicholas)

My grandfather taught me to never let someone fuck with what's mine. That's exactly what Tara was. Mine.

From the moment my name escaped her beautiful lips while I was buried deep inside her, I knew for certain, it wouldn't be any other way. And I always took care of what belonged to me.

"Come in," I responded to a knock on the door.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Mr. Rossi, but your three o'clock is here," Melanie announced from the entrance to my office.

"Thank you, Mel. Please let her in."

After checking the calendar for all my Tuesday appointments, I looked up to find a sexy brunette with plump red lips standing across from me, extending her arm out for a handshake.

Had I met her a few months ago, I'd take her home for the night just to see those lips wrapped around my cock. But things were different now. I had zero interest in the woman standing before me.

I stood up from my chair to shake her hand firmly and motioned for her to take a seat before walking around my desk to get myself a drink.

"Scotch?" I offered, holding the bottle in my hand.

"Sure. On the rocks, please."

I turned to prepare us both a drink, stealing glances at her over my shoulder. She was strikingly attractive, I had to admit. But she didn't stand a chance against Tara.

What the fuck was Alex thinking? I would never risk losing a woman like Tara over a cheap lay. Especially a money hungry one. That's exactly what this woman was. I picked up on it during our conversation on the phone. The change in her tone the instant I mentioned dollar signs gave her away easily.

"Here you go, my lady." I winked while handing her a drink. The way she pressed her legs firmly together confirmed my flirting was having some sort of effect on her.

"Thank you."

"My pleasure." I smiled while taking a seat next to her, a little too close, just to get her mind going.

If there's anything I knew better than the law, it was how to read a woman. And I could tell from the moment we shook hands, I could effortlessly wrap this one around my finger.

"So let's talk business."

"Straight to the point, I see."

"Time is money, Ms. Richards, and I wouldn't be where I am today if I wasted any of my precious time." I ran my gaze up the length of her legs, causing her to uncross them, before looking dead into her eyes. I loved having the power to make women nervous just from a simple stare.

"Call me Jennifer, please. No need for formalities."

"Very well, Jennifer." I nodded in approval. "What can you tell me about Alex Bates?"

Her eyes widened as she tried to process my question. Her hands slightly trembling; she took the first sip from her drink. "What exactly would you like to know, Mr. Rossi?"

"I thought we were past formalities, Jennifer." I caught the way her cheeks flushed before proceeding. "Everything you know and care to divulge."

She remained silent, blinking her eyes a few times.

"Start off by telling me where and when you both met," I urged her to start talking.

"Why would you want to know anything about Alex?" she asked, unsure of what I planned to do with that information.

I stood up and walked to my safe. Unlocking it, I pulled out a wad of cash and headed back toward her, throwing all the bills on the coffee table before sitting back down beside her.