Chapter 16

Let me know what cha think :)

The three teens had noticed something as soon as Korra walked into the class that something was wrong. Korra looked pretty moody that day. She was quieter than usual, a pissed off look on her face. Her hood was up, hiding her face, her blue eyes gleaming through the shadow.

She sat down in her seat, putting her head down. Asami, Mako, and Bolin looked at eachother. They were unsure what to do. They knew not to try and cheer her up. They feared for their heads if they tried to even touch her.

"Alright everyone", Mrs.Suyin said. "Settle down please".

The teens focused their attention on the teacher. The class was quiet. Mrs.Suyin looked around at the silent room, hands clasped.

"Now. I know that I'm a geometry teacher but I feel like since it is the national month of a very serious matter. Child abuse".

Asami, Mako and Bolin looked at eachother. The first thing that came to mind was Korra. Asami had to refrain from looking at the blued eyed teen.

"It's a very serious problem in this country", Mrs.Suyin said. "Sadly it's more common than you'd think and I personally think that everyone should be aware of it".

The teacher began to pace as she talk, making eye contact with every student.

"Child abuse is pretty much self explanatory. It's when a parent or caretaker of a child hurts that child or puts their life and or safety at risk or neglects them all together. The abuse can either be physical, emotional, mental, or sexual. It's mostly common in small children, because small children are much more helpless to the the abuse. Ju, flipped the lights please. We're going to watch a video".

The lights were turned off. A video was played. It was a short movie with actors. There were some scenes shown that made the students cringe. Asami just should her head.

How could someone hurt a child like that??. They'd have to be screwed up in the head or heartless. Korra came to her mind more than a few times. She couldn't help it. The bruises. The recording. It was easy to see that something wasn't right with Korra and her dad.

The video ended with the child dying at the end. It was heartbreaking. The lights were turned back on. Asami looked at Korra who was now sitting up, looking at the teacher just like everyone else. Asami looked back at the teacher.

"Honestly", Mrs.Suyin said. "When I saw this video, I cried. I felt so emotional and impacted that it hurt me to see that child get beaten. Even if it wasn't real, it still hurt me to watch".

Mrs.Suyin crossed her arms.

"You'd have to be sick or seriously messed up to be able to do something like that to someone. And child abuse isn't just happening to small kids. It can happen to teens too though it's less likely. Because by the time the child is a teenager, they're either not with their abuser anymore or they died from the abuse or neglect".

Asami felt her heart sink. Man. That was bittersweet. The kid was either dead or not being abused anymore and living a normal pain free life. That's........ wow.

"This topic is very hard for me to talk about", the teacher said. "Because I know kids I taught before in the past that had been abused during that time or when they were smaller. It hurt to see them. They would come to school every day with bruises black eyes and busted lips and dirty clothes. They tried to hide it but they couldn't from me. Some of them came to me for help and I got them the help they needed that day and they're doing alright now".

Mrs.Suyin smiled. "I keep in contact with them and they're doing great. Some have kids. It's amazing but um...... back to the topic".

The gray haired woman cleared her throat.