15 - Sam

All I could think about was Phoebe. She was even better now than when we’d been at high school together. She had a sense of ease around her now. And her eyes sparkled. And her body was amazing. Everything about her is amazing. I think she liked me, but I’m not sure. She’s one of those people who aren’t easy to read. I want to ask her out, but it’s probably too soon. She seemed a bit freaked out that I still knew the classes we shared.

I worked around the garden, watering all the plants. It was a cool evening, and had only just gone eight. My little sister, Alice, had just got in from playing with some kids from our street. She was covered in dirt. That was generally what she looked like now after a day with her friends. Originally, Mum had put her in these sweet little dresses with bows and ribbons, but they came back completely ruined with stains she couldn’t get out after several washes. Now she puts Alice in cheap, Tesco vest tops and shorts. She seems perfectly happy though. Mum was pretty disappointed when Alice wasn’t girly. She’d always wanted a girl. She’d probably have been happier if I’d turned out gay to be honest.

I stretched out, yawning. I was so tired lately and I was barely doing anything. It was a big change from university life. Studying Engineering was tough work. There was so much work to do, but I still found time to have fun. I enjoyed university. The summer before I went there, I’d toned up, got a haircut and new clothes, and when I started there, I was turning heads for the right reasons. I’ve never had a girlfriend though. I’ve had offers, but they’ve never been right. I’d always thought I was fine without a girl in my life other than my little sister, who’s six. But now, it seemed Phoebe had changed my mind. I’d gone from being the guy everyone fancies to fancying one girl who will probably never go out with me. Now I knew how it felt to be Niall, the geeky kid who wore vests and round glasses. Phoebe’s got a lot on her plate. But I fancy her so bad.

“What you doing?” I jumped at the sound of Phoebe’s voice, and found my hose jumping upward and hit Phoebe’s face. I quickly brought it back down again, apologising as Phoebe laughed and ran her fingers through her damp hair. “Its fine, I was going to shower soon anyway.” I turned off the hose, blushing. Phoebe was leaning over the fence, presumably standing on one of the ridges in the wood. She rested her chin on the top and was grinning.

“I’m so sorry,” I repeated. Phoebe shook her head as she laughed.

“No worries,” she said. “What have you been doing today?”

“Just…sitting around the house. I watched some TV and…yeah, nothing much.”

“Sounds pretty boring.”

“It was,” I said, shrugging. I was ashamed at how lame I sounded. I had to stop thinking 'lame' though. She thought that word was stupid. I couldn't say it again.

“Well, I went into town. With my sister and my brother and my Mum. Don’t get me wrong – I love them to bits, but I’ve been spending all my time with them solidly since I’ve been back. I want some other company, you know?”

“Yeah,” I said, grinning. “Yeah, I understand.”

“Cool,” she said. “Soo…are you going to…”

“Yeah!” I said. “Would you like to go on a date with me, Phoebe?” She frowned.

“I was going to say suggest where to go together. I didn’t say anything about romance.”

“Shit,” I muttered, mentally slapping myself.

“But now that you mention it…” I looked up and saw her smiling. “I haven’t had a boyfriend since I was thirteen so I’ll be a little rusty.”

“I’ve never had one!” I replied.

“I’d hope not – you’re straight, right?” She grinned and I bit my lip. This was going so badly.

“I’ve never had a girlfriend,” I said, humbly.

“I’m joking,” she said, waving her hand in a dismissive way. There was a short pause and she looked at me with those adorable, huge eyes she has.

“How’s tomorrow?” I stuttered. “We can go to the pizza place.”

“Sure,” she replied. “Pick me up at seven.” She hopped down from the fence then and I waited until her footsteps had disappeared and I heard the door open and shut.

“Yes!” I screamed jumping up and down.

“I can still hear you!” she called back, and then the door opened and closed again. I shook my head, flabbergasted. This girl was special. I wasn’t going to let her go easily.

*

The next day, I woke early. Well, it was nine o’clock which was early for me anyway. I stretched in bed, grinning as I remembered what had happened last night. I almost felt like texting her to check it wasn’t a dream, but I’d never gotten her phone number.

I showered, enjoying the feel of the warm water, and then the difference in temperature as I stepped out and the mirror went all foggy with the steam. I pulled on some crop jeans and a t-shirt for the day and brushed my teeth. I thought about what I’d say to Phoebe when I saw her. I was quite clever really, but I’d never been good with words. That was partly why I went into engineering. Phoebe always seemed so collected, even after everything she’d been through. The cool guy I was at university had been left back in my dorm.

I busied myself for the next few hours with minor tasks such as tidying up my desk, making my bed, choosing what I was going to wear that night and watering the plants yet again. I made myself a sandwich and ate it in the garden, listening for sounds coming from next door, but it was silent. I peeked over the fence and saw Phoebe’s father – I remembered him to be called Rob – sprawled on the grass. His mouth was slightly open, sweat poured down his face and his chest moved up and down quickly though his eyes were closed. He looked ill, but I’d barely spoken to the man and didn’t want to interfere. He had a bottle of water by his side and fumbled for it, eyes still firmly shut, and emptied it on top of his face, spluttering as the contents splashed over him. Then, he reached into his pocket. He pulled out a translucent plastic bag, filled with white pills and there was a washing line clip attached to the top of it. I ducked a little under the fence to make sure he did not see me.

He undid the clip and took out two of the pills. I eyed him carefully as he swallowed them and his face broke out into a smile. He scratched his head and cleared his throat before putting the bag back inside his pocket and checking that it was indeed inconspicuous. I jumped back down onto the grass lightly to make sure he didn’t notice the noise and then I sat down, leaning against the fence. I wasn’t sure what to make of it. He’d looked ill but pills for people with medical conditions normally come in little boxes with a technical name scrawled on the front and with a leaflet to explain side effects. These pills looked dodgy. And from the change in expression after he took them, it seemed like he was preparing himself for a thrill. It seemed as if Phoebe’s Dad was taking illegal drugs, but I couldn’t know for sure. I sighed dramatically and picked myself up, heading inside. I guessed Phoebe was out for the day. And even when I saw her tonight, I wouldn’t say a word.