14 - Jackie

“Soo...are we going to do anything or what?” The girl sitting before me had a striking appearance, but it seemed she did not know it. She hadn’t looked me in the eye yet, kept fidgeting in her seat and was fumbling with the pen in front of her. If I hadn’t of know who it was, I’d never have guessed it was the thirteen year old blonde who went missing in the snow.

“How are you getting on with your new family?” I said, pouring over my desk and smiling at Phoebe. She shrugged.

“Fine. Mum is really nice, Kayla and Thomas are chatty. My Dad is a bit distant though; maybe you should be giving him counselling. I’m fine,” she said, folding her arms tightly.

“And there it is,” said Jackie. “A pure example of the fact that you haven’t matured in the same way other nineteen year olds have, because your life experience is minimal.”

“I can tell you I have been through more than the average person,” she said, welling up a little and clearing her throat, but frowning to stop herself from crying. She was obviously emotional.  

“I don’t doubt that. But the experiences that shape us as a person, and make us grow up, are ones that you have missed out on.”

“Like?”

“Examinations, boyfriends, having friends, trying out hobbies…”

“So I’m a social reject,” she muttered, sniffing.

“No, I see you as a teenage celebrity…”

“’Cause everyone knows my name. Why did mine have to be the kidnapping case that was publicised around the world when there are hundreds?!”

“Because of the situation, your family, you were pretty…but no that’s not why I see you as a teenage celebrity. You are like them because you’ve missed out on a lot of experiences normal people have gone through, so the hospital don’t feel you can just venture out into the world – or you may…”

“Go mad? Like Lindsay Lohan.”

“No, not like Lindsay,” I replied. I fiddled with the pencils on my desk then, flipping over a page on Phoebe’s file. “You may not cope with the world on your own.”

“Talking to you isn’t going to teach me how to have a boyfriend. It’s not going to make me go back in time so I go to prom, and take my exams, and get drunk and get obsessed with celebrities.”

“No, it’s not. You’ve missed out, and you can’t go back. What I can do is be a backbone. Someone you can depend on. You can talk to me about everything and I’ll help you. If you need somebody to talk to, I’m here. I’ll give you my number so, in addition to these weekly sessions, you can call me whenever you wish. Any time.”

“Do you not have a life or something?” she said, frowning as she accepted my card and pocketed it.

“I’m committed to my job and my clients.” She nodded slowly, thinking.

“Thanks,” she said, sighing, and it was as if, with that sigh, the tough-girl image she was putting on washed away. Her face softened, her arms unfolded and fell to her sides and her chin tilted upward slightly. She looked a different person. I saw this as meaning I had gained her trust.

“So you’ve been home a week, yes? And how has it been?”

“Great,” she said, smiling. “We decorated my room. It was a bit weird – it hadn’t changed at all since I’d gone. We went shopping and bought lots of new clothes, and I’ve made friends with the boy next door.” I nodded as she spoke, assuringly.

“That sounds good,” I said. “Have you got anything planned?”

“Next week, there’s going to be a big sort of…dinner. At the local town hall. The whole family is invited. So I can meet them all again. I’m going to wear a dress, and some of my old school friends are coming. I don’t remember half the people but I will.” She smiled as she finished and I frowned.

“Is that wise? All these people will know you, and expect you to remember them. Memories they hold of you won’t be ones you can share. They’ll have changed as you have.”

“No but, I don’t think I have changed,” said Phoebe. “You said I’ve missed out on experiences, right? I think…in my head I’m still young. Kayla is so mature. I swear my maturity level matches Thomas’.”

“I don’t think that’s true,” I said.

“I’m doing the dinner. I want everyone I love, or loved and will love again, to be there. I have to do it. It’s important!” She leaned against the edge of the desk then, eyes wide.

I hesitated for a moment. “If you’re sure,” I said, backing away from my desk a little. Her assurance was scary. This dinner meant a lot to her. I nodded, swallowing hard. Fire had flickered in her eyes as she said that.

“I’ll see you next week then,” I said, narrowing my eyes for a fraction of a second as she stood, smiling at me. I returned the expression and she left with a slight skip in her step. Phoebe had many sides to her. I had a feeling the side I’d just seen was more present than people knew. Maybe our appointments needed to be more regular than once a week. I knew there and then this girl had issues.

“There’s something wrong with Phoebe,” I muttered.