3 - Kayla

I turned over in Harry’s bed, taking my face away from the pillow I’d smothered it in and allowing it to feel the cool breeze of Harry’s fan. Harry stirred a little in his sleep and I smiled at him. I’d never have landed such a hot boy if I hadn’t sorted out my appearance a few years ago. The room was silent apart from the buzzing of the fan and I was scared to move for fear of waking him up. He was so peaceful when he was asleep. I let my arm fall off the edge of the bed to grab the t-shirt I had been wearing the night before, pulling it on as well as my shorts.

“You're leaving already?” I turned to see Harry propped up on his left elbow, his right hand rubbing his eyes. 

“I was here all of yesterday. My Mum will go mad if I don’t come home soon.” That was a lie, of course. Mum had slacked on all rules of discipline since Phoebe. However, I wanted my own space. Harry and I had been going out for over a year now and I wanted to just relax in the garden and read a book or listen to some music.

“What about going to the beach?”

“Another time?” I said, finishing getting dressed as I pulled my hair up into a ponytail.

“I love your hair when it is down and messy. It looks hot.”

“Yeah, I’m going now,” I said, and he grinned. I had not fallen for his trap again where he made me feel beautiful so that I would stay with him a little longer.

“Call me,” he added as I closed his bedroom door behind me. I went down his familiar steps and through his kitchen where his Mum was making breakfast for Harry’s younger sisters, Jenny and Kate, and his brother, Adam.

“Hey, Kayla,” they all chorused, except for Jenny. She was fourteen and still not convinced I was the right guy for her brother.

“Hey everyone,” I said, pathetically waving my right hand. “See you all later.” I went through the front door and out on to the street. It was a hot day and, even though it was still morning, I could feel the sun’s rays beating down on the bare flesh of my exposed arms, legs and face. My skin burnt so easily I’d have to rush home and get some sun cream. However, I was so tempted to stroll the ten minute walk home and breathe in the cool air that I was willing to risk looking like I’d just bathed in tomato sauce. I didn’t get much time to take things slowly anymore. I was off to university when September came to study art and design, and I’d be in Portsmouth, hours from Harry, if my grades came in as I wanted them to.

Harry was devastated when I told him. He thinks this relationship will last forever. I don’t see that happening. He’ll miss the intimacy between us whilst I’m away and he'll get off with another girl in his halls. He will eventually confess to me what has happened, and I’ll probably get really angry at him and we’ll break up. Our lives will take different paths and we’ll see each other in ten years’ time at a high school reunion and smile awkwardly at each other. I was a realistic girl. I played dumb sometimes but I was good at working things out and wasn’t one to get carried away easily. Harry was a nice companion for now. He was kind to me, and treated me well, and I enjoyed being with him generally, but he was a bit dumb and slow. I always joked it was from heading all those footballs, as he’s the striker of our local team. If he had it his way, he’d be playing the game for the rest of his life, but his parents have plans for him; the first being to go to university, then get a good job, marry a nice girl - like me as they’ve often hinted – and have kids.

I wasn’t sure about ever being a Mum really. I’d just got my figure recently. I didn’t want to destroy it by blowing up my stomach and gaining extra weight along the way. Also, I had ambition. I didn’t want to just stay at home all day. I’d watched ‘Glee’ like every other teenager, and although some of my friends now seem to think teenage pregnancy is cool because of the girl in Glee that gets pregnant, I don’t think it sounds cool. It would suck.