Chapter Twenty-one:War (Abe's POV)

I stood in the tree tops, my feet balancing carefully on a thin branch. My men were spread out below, some scouting, some fighting, others talking strategy. Why wasn't I with them? Because I had a plan. One that would keep them, their mates, and my mate safe. Even if was risky. Well, it was more than risky, I had to admit that. It was fatal. To the enemy...and me.

    I had promised Aza to keep myself safe. I had to lie to her. I remembered the pain of that moment, the agony of knowing my mate was alone with unknown wolves and in danger. So I made a decision, a deadly but efficient one, one that my wolf agreed upon. 'Anything to protect her.' I sighed. My men would mourn, I knew, and Aza would be heartbroken as well as furious. It pained me to know I was doing this to her, but it is necessary.

      I focused on the fading sun. It was sinking slowly past the tree tops, darkness taking over. Once the sun was completely hidden, my plan would begin. The boys would race forward to their position, the scouts would swarm through the branches, strong hands clutching knifes and guns tightly. The Unseen Ones would focus on them and I would have freedom to move in secrecy to their leader. I had an idea of where he was. Let's hope I am right. It doesn't matter, either way I will die. Whether from the sharp blade of my enemy's soldiers, or from my own ludicrous plan, I don't know, but it will happen.

    The sun sank even lower. A couple more minutes... Darkness swallowed the forest whole. "AAAEEWWH!" My men released a furocious battle cry. I could picture them running with inhuman speed through the woods, weapons held tightly in human hands, or sharp teeth bared. I leapt out of the tree, landing hard on my bare feet. The roughness of the ground would have ripped a human male's feet apart and broken the bones, but I wasn't human. Not now, not ever.

    I began to run, feeling the wind slice viciously through my hair, the mud and dirt slicing into my callaused soles. I held the Blade of Night firmly. I saw a flash to my right. A dark figure appeared, souless eyes peering sightlessly at me. He didn't see me, he felt me. He lunged. I braced my muscles and phased the moment his body hit mine. The tearing of my muscles and flailing claws tore him into shreds instantly. Blood splattered the dark green leaves.

    I phased back and ran naked, carrying my pouch of brick dust. I dodged vines carefully, and tried to stay away from thorn bushes. I knew that if one of them caught me by surprise they'd shove me directly intoit, knowing I would be to distracted by the thorns and the agony they were inflincting to fight.   I heard a crackling sound behind me over the sounds of the wind in my ears, my men's screams, and the ground thudding under my heels.

    I slewed around quickly. I lifted my arm as I turned. The pocket knife I had kept concealed sliced cleanly into his throat, ripping his jugular apart. Black blood poured from the injury. I was almost there. I forced my feet faster. My breathing was harsh. The clearing was so close. I finally stumbled into the small clearing. I dropped to my knees and whispered the ancient prayers in the Old Language. I spread brick dust in a circle around my body. 'God, please protect me.'

    "I knew you would come here." The gravelly voice sent chills down my spine. This was the  creature who had threatened my mate, had threatened Ryan's mate, and killed my mother. I looked up slowly. He was tall and guant, like a walking skeletan. I looked at the long blade that was sheathed at his hip. The Araziel Blade. Meant to kill shifters.

    "You should go now, Razakiel. There is no way you can win." I said fiercely, hearing the deep tones of the wolf in my voice. He smiled cruelly.

    "Oh my dear boy, you have no idea what I am capable of." He rumbled. I glowered at him.

    "I know enough."

    He grinned, his foot shifted slightly. Almost time, just a couple more seconds. His body turned slightly. I braced my feet, tensing my legs. In two minutes the moon would be shining down right on us. He lunged, the ground splitting under his feet. The wind blew, nearly knocking me off my feet. 'Nyah vena, caso ay zec.'  I jumped forward, slamming with bone breaking intensity against him. He roared, his teeth knashing. I saw huge black wings rise above my head.

    He slammed his fist into my rib. I felt it shatter. I gave a soft moan of pain and raised my hand to block his next strike. My wrist snapped like a twig. He kicked my leg, breaking my shin and causing me to fall to the ground. His knee crushed my crotch. I gasped. I punched his head in a vain attempt to knock him off me. He punched me several more times, breaking five bones.

    Blood dripped from my mouth. He pinned me to the ground. Just as he was about to force the blade under my ribs, I pulled the Blade of Night from where I had hidden it. The moon was overhead. It shone on my black hair. I swung the blade, driving it home into his chest. I felt the squish as it hit his heart. The blade heated until it seared my hands and flames clung to the hilt. I screamed as it ate the flesh from my bones. Razakiel went limp as the fire ate away the darkness inside him, took the borrowed souls and sent them home.

    He was dead. But the blade still scorched. Because it was not a one kill weapon. It was made to kill anything that had darkness in it. It was a knife fashioned from flame and Seelie Sunlight. Spells had been cast on it to make it safe for it to be carried. But when a Darkweilder killed another with it, the dagger claimed both, taking the night souls as it's own to keep it burning bright for years to come. I was a Darkweilder. And even if I wasn't , I had so much darkness in me that it would have mistaken me as one.

    My eyelids drooped. Blood coated my body. Rushing filled my ears. Moments before my death I heard, "ABE!" Then Hell gripped me tight and refused to let go.

Oooh. What happens next? Read and find out. The last word was both his pack and Aza.