Chapter Nineteen:Guarding (Abe's POV)

I woke on the bed, Aza tucked under my huge leg. It actually took me a moment to realize I still had fur. I normally woke human and anxious and fearful of what I might find. What if I hurt her? 'I don't hurt mate. I protect.' Yeah right. I shifted, wanting to phase back. Aza pressed further into my side, her body curled into the fetal position. She never slept like that, not unless she had nightmares. I nudged her softly. She whimpered. I snarled low in response.

    I pressed my body to hers, hoping it would wake her. She stirred. "Abe, I...I'm scared." I growled miserably. What had I done? 'Invaders. They steal her. Scare her.' And you couldn't have told me this earlier? I nuzzled her. "They were here-and they had the, the picture, a feather...it had blood on it." She muttered incoherently. She had never spoken like that. Not ever. When she was scared, she fought to get stronger. Now she was cowering.

    I stood, feeling my muscles stretch. I was standing on the bed and had to duck my head to keep it from reaching the ceiling. I glanced around the room. Nothing was out of order, but there was a nasty feeling to it, as if something bad was going to happen. I saw a picture lying on the floor. It was of Aza. I stepped off the bed, letting my claws click menacingly on the floor.

    She was sitting on a chair, next to a body. Her eyes were filled with tears, but her posture was firm. She looked ready to break down. Her purple streak stood out in stark contrast to her black clothing and hair. Even her makeup had not the slightest splash of color. A huge black feather lay near it on the floor, blood staining it's tip. Rafael.

    He was a life long enemy. He had been an enemy to my kind for God knows how long. My father had battled him, my grandfather, almost every male shifter in my family had fought him. Including myself. It had been over twenty years since we had made the treaty, but we both knew he didn't abide by it. We patrolled constantly for him, never finding a trace of evidence, but we all knew he was there. Waiting...plotting.

    I needed to call my pack. I would double patrols, make everyone do double or triple shifts, and might even have the neighboring pack two states away guard our females. Aza was not the only one who was being targeted. I knew this with a certainty. I phased swiftly, ignoring Aza's gasp of surprise. I ran naked to the kitchen. My cellphone was sitting on the cheap fake granite counter top. I picked it up and dialed Ryan.

    When he answered, he was jst as frantic as me. "Hannah had a fit this morning, she was screaming non-stop. I didn't know what to do. She is practically catatonic now, but before she was screaming something about a note. And a feather," My heart froze in my chest.

   "Get her out now. Bring her here. Call the pack elders and the youngsters."

    "But why-"

    "Now!" I yelled, hearing the deep bass rumble of the alpha voice.

    "Okay." He hung up. I flipped around, snatching Aza up from where she was standing behind me bewilderedly. She screeched in shock.

    "Get dressed now. Pack what you need or can't live without. Make it fast." She stared at me, raising an eyebrow in confusion. I grabbed her shouders, shaking them roughly.

    "Why?"

    "Because you need to be safe." She nodded slowly. "Now!" I shouted. She flinched, but I was beyond caring. She needed to get out of here now. Otherwise she could get killed. She scampered away. I grabbed the phone and proceeded to tell the rest of the pack. They agreed with me and the mated had their girls start packing. They were going to gather in the center of the woods as quickly as possible.

    One last number. I dialed the alpha of hte nearby pack. "Hello?" He asked.

    "I have a favor to ask of you." I said, praying to God my fear didn't show through.

    "What?"

    "Can you guard the females of my pack? There is a danger here, we can't risk it."

    "I could. What trouble?"

    "I'll send them over soon."

    "What trouble?" His voice was filled with irritation.

    "They'll be packed and somewhat confused."

    "WHAT TROUBLE?!" He roared.

    "Rafael is back."

Stranger's POV

    They are all so stupid.

Good? Trust me, there is a lot more drama to come.