Chapter Eight:Protective (Abe's POV)

• Dedicated to Teresa Robertson (My Mom)

    I smiled as I ran home. I hadn't expected her to recognize my voice. But she knew instantly. For some reason that sent a little thrill through me. I was completely addicted to her. I don't think I can stand to avoid her anymore. To see her and know she likes me, but not be able to be around her is torturous.

    I got home in five minutes at a full run. I collapsed on my old sofa, and was instantly asleep.

    I was in a dark alleyway. I could smell her sweet honeysuckle and cinnamon scent drifting through the putrid air. I followed in into the darkest corner. What I saw horrified me. She was lying unconscious on the ground, blood dripping from a wound in her skull. Two boys were hunched over her, one was ripping open her pants and the other was kissing her.

    I roared in fury. They didn't even turn. They couldn't hear me. I lunged at them. I slid straight through their crouched bodies. I screamed in a vain attempt to frighten them. Of course, they couldn't hear me so it was more than a little worthless.

    The who was kissing her stopped and started to open his jeans. As he did I got a glimpse of his face. It was Jake. Aza's foster brother. He started to pull his boxers down...and I woke up screaming her name.

     My heart was pounding furiously in my chest. I could hear heavy knocks on the front door. "Come on in!" I yelled, embarrassed when my voice shook. Connor and Ryan burst through the door, looking ready to kill something. When they saw it was just me, they calmed down.

    "Abe, dude, what happened? We heard you yelling." Connor said, looking confused.

    "Aza." I whispered hoarsely. They glanced at each other.

    "What?" they asked at the same time. I sighed.

    "I had a dream that Aza was being...violated." I muttered. I could still feel the helplessness and pain, and the awful all-consuming fear. I shuddered. It felt so real. I was so scared she was going to be hurt.

    "Oh, um, why?" I snarled. "Why did you have that dream do you think?"

    "Well, you know how the mated couples can sense things to do with each other? I think Aza is my soulmate. It's the only thing that explains this. Plus, I am sort of, well, addicted to her. I hate being away from her and adore her scent and stuff." They nodded. I smiled weakly. This is why they are my friends. They understand and help, no questions asked.

    "We need to watch her. Closely. I can't let that happen." I said firmly.  They nodded, their jaws set. I knew they thought she was funny and cool. They had some of the same classes and she had smarted off a couple times or made a hilarious joke, and I knew that if I hadn't ordered them to stay away they probably would've asked her out by now.

    "C'mon boys, we have a school to get to." Ryan said with fake energy.

    "Yep, just let me get dressed and stuff." They nodded again.

    I raced into my tiny bedroom and pulled on clean jeans and a Nickleback t-shirt. My hair was wild but I didn't care enough to comb it. We walked to school quickly, wanting to be able to watch her without a bunch of others around. I sent Connor off to tell the other high school aged members of the pack about my dream and the need to watch out for Aza.

    We saw her immediately. She was sitting on a rock reading. Poetry, I thought with a smile. Some of my anxiety melted away once I saw her. She was safe and we would keep her that way. "Hey Aza, want to meet with me and my friends after school?" I heard someone yell. I looked towards the direction of the voice and saw Jacob. I growled low in my throat.

    She looked at him and shook her dark haired head. I smiled. Smart girl. "You sure?" She nodded. "It'll be fun."

    "She said no, dimwit." I rumbled. He glared at me. "And anyway, she is coming over to my house later." Her eyes widened. I gave her a look that said, 'Just go with it." She gave a nearly imperceptible nod. Good girl. He huffed and walked away. She looked at me strangely.

    "Being a bit protective, aren't you?" Ryan grumbled.

    "He is one of the idiots who raped her in my dream." His eyes widened so much they nearly popped out of his head.

    "We will be protective, just in wolf form and secretly." I said quietly. He agreed and we rushed off to our classrooms. I was going to have to watch her at night in wolf form. At least she liked me in wolf form.