Chapter 6 ~ Jealousy.

--------------------------------

What to do...what to do!! I think. I close my eyes and bite my lip, thankful for the silence that was all around me. I was in the library after all. I sigh.

"One," I mutter, the thoughts of Shane flowing through me. "Two," I whisper, thinking of Seth's joy and kindness. "Three," I breath, picturing the hatful enmity they seemed to have towards each other. "Four," I say quietly, knowing that after I said "five", I would be okay. "Fi-"

"-Surprise!" Livvy says, jumping behind me, scaring me. I glare at her as she comes to sit across from me, still snickering. She looks at my wary expression and her jubilant grin drops to a questioning frown. "What's wrong, Mona?" I shake my head in response.

"I just- I can't- It's unbelievable- it's just not possible!" I say in frustration. Her forehead scrunches in confusion.

"What isn't?"

"This!" I say, gesturing with my hands in front of me. "Shane's my best friend! I didn't know he thought of me that way! I've always thought of us as best friends. Then Seth comes along, even though he has a girlfriend..." I tell her, trailing off.

"What about Seth? I wasn't notified!" Livvy says eagerly. She definitely was not willing to let this one go. I sigh.

"That's because it just happened. Seth basically just asked me if I had a date to the dance," I mutter oblingingly. She gasps and her eyes widen beyond imagine.

"I told you! I told you that he was the guy for you!" she says excitedly but cocks her head to one side. "So? Do you like him? Seth, I mean," she asks me. I close my eyes and sigh.

Seth and his bubbly personality was so unlike a guy's serious "cool" personality that it was hard to tell whether I liked him or not. He was always around and a bit annoying. He asked me and others much too many questions. But he was cute. And sweet. And always seemed to care.

"I- I don't think he deserves to have Catharine Harlow of all people as his girlfriend. He's so innocent," I say, relenting on that decision. Livvy ponders this for a moment. Feeling fidgety, I brush a hand through my hair and fumble with my necklace that I was wearing, brushing my fingers over the three different keys. I blink and look at my pretty necklace once again. After several moments of silence, she finally looks at me.

"I think that you should go with whoever you think you want to be with. It's only one dance. Live a little," she says, shrugging. I slowly nod in acknowledgement.

"I just- I just wish that-" I start but fail to finish the sentence.

"Wish for what?"

"I just wish that - as cruel as it is to say - that something happened to Catharine so that she wouldn't go to the dance, you know? Then *if* I do go to the dance with Seth, I wouldn't feel so bad," I tell her.

"You're still gonna feel bad, either way, Mona," she says solemnly and I realize that she is right. I sigh.

"Yeah. That's true," I mumble guiltily. She reaches over and gives me a hug.

"It's too bad wishes don't come true," she whispers and I slowly nod in agreement...

***

I did not see Seth or Shane for the rest of the day. I went to the nurse's office after my conversation with Livvy in the library and went home "sick". Walking home, because my house is not too far away, I hear shouting as I go to the back porch. Dad??? Shouting?!? I quickly unlock the back door and burst through the door.

In the living room sits Mom with a cup of tea in her hands, Dad standing up, yelling at his son, and Erik, hand in hand with a pretty brunette girl. I gulp.