Chapter 4: Toby

This is the first time that I'm seeing Carla again in the flesh after what seemed like ages. As she and Mara got out of Carla's van, she removed her glasses and I saw that her eyes were red-rimmed and that she looked like she hasn't slept a wink since God knows when. When Mara called me up three days ago, telling me that  Carla's husband died, I was gut-wrenched. Sure, it pained me when they got married. I was in love with Carla for so long that when she chose to be with Keith, I was really heartbroken. Buit what could I do? She says she loves the guy and that he's the one for her. Mara told me to just let it go, because Carla's in love and we should just allow her to be happy.

 After they got married, I left the country. I went backpacking in France, Italy, Spain. Moved to Maldives for a couple of months and worked on a resort, moved to New Jersey and realized that the shore just isn't my think, moved to Santa Catalina and worked on a surfboard shop...I just kept on moving until I found my way back to New York. I just missed this place a lot and realized that art is still my thing. So, I built the studio and started teaching. It took me quite a while to let go of Carla, but you know...Time really does wonders for anyone who's hurting. 

The ironic thing is, now that Carla's lost her husband, Marielle also lost her dad. I haven't heard from her since that day she walked out of my class. I tried calling her but she never picks up. I don't even know where she lives. It's all so messy.

Carla saw me first. "Toby," I saw her lips move. She and Mara then walked up to me, as I was standing outside her house. "Hey," she said.

"Carly," I said. "I'm so sorry,"

She tried to smile but it was obvious that everything that's been going on is making her lonely. How could it not? "Thanks for coming," she told me, "Let's go in?"

I nodded my head and walked up to the house with her and Mara. Their living room was exquisite--I don't even have a better word for it. Crystals everywhere, candles here and there, ornate stuff, the couch was all feathered...It was a grandiose place, yet it felt so...so secluded. Like, you'd always feel alone. 

"What do you guys want to drink?" Carla asked, "I have some tea, or--"

"Relax," Mara told her, "Let me get it."

"Okay..." Carla said, fidgety as Mara made her way to the kitchen. "Toby..." She said as she looked at me, "Thanks for being here."

"Don't mention it," I said, "How are you?"

"I--"

"I know, stupid question, sorry,"

"Don't be silly," she said, "I've...I'm trying to cope." She took a deep breath, "It's just so hard, you know? It's so hard...He was my life,"

"I'm sorry,"

She was crying now, "Why is it so unfair?" She asked, "He was a good man. He loved me. Sure, it's not a conventional love story but..."

"Carla,"

Mara then came back with a tray of drinks. She sat down beside Carla and gave her a glass of juice. "Sweetie," she said, "it'll be okay."

"Thanks..." Carla whispered.

Mara then looked at me, "And you, Toby, ..How are you?"

"I'm alright," I said, "Busy with the art studio and all that stuff..."

"Dating anyone?"

"I...well...let's not really go into that..."

"Oooh, touche'?" Mara said.

"Mara," Carla shot back.

"So, where's your stepdaughter?" I asked Carla.

"Oh, don't even get me started on that girl," Mara said.

"Mara," Carla said.

"Why? What's going on?"

"What?" Mara told Carla, "You're being too nice on that girl, she does not even deserve it." She turned to me, "Trixie didn't go to the funeral. She came in here last night drunk and--"

"She's taking Keith's death hard."

"Like you're not," Mara said sarcastically, "The point is, your stepdaughter is a bitch."

"Mara,"

"Whoa, now I'm intrigued," I said, trying to make light of the situation. "I wonder when I'm going to meet her--"

Just then, the door opened and someone came in. Someone I knew. Marielle. In a Black button down and some denim shorts. She looked...wasted. I couldn't believe my eyes as questions ran through my mind. What was she doing here? 

"Marielle?" I said as I saw her.

She was startled as I called her name. She looked at me and dropped her bag on the floor. "Toby?" She said, "What in the world are you doing here? How did you know I lived here?"

"I didn't," I said, "I never knew you lived here. I came here for Carla, I mean, her husband died and--"

"Trix, what's going on?" Carla asked.

"Trix?" I said, "Marielle, why's she calling you Trix?"

"That's her nickname," Carla said.

"But...she's Marielle. Marielle Wade--"

"Toby," Marielle said, "Let me explain,"

"How do you know each other, anyway?" Mara asked.

"Marielle's my--"

"I'm his student," Marielle said and then turned to me, "Toby, sorry I didn't tell you about my full name or whatever, I'm just...I just didn't want anything to do with my father's name, I...I wanted to let go of that name. I didn't lie, per se. Marielle's still my name, you know? Patricia Marielle Wade Chapman. Wade's my mother's maiden name. Toby, I'm sorry."

"Wow," I muttered, "So you're Carla's stepdaughter?"

"Well.." Marielle said. "How do you know each other by the way?"

"We were bestfriends," I said.

"Were?"

"Stuff happened..."

"Oh," She said. 

"Something's going on here," Carla said, "I mean...Toby..."

I took a deep breath, "Marielle's my girlfriend."

"I knew it," Mara said, "I told you," she told Carla.

"Oh my god," Carla said, "Since when?"

"It's none of your business," Marielle said.

"Marielle," I said.

She sighed, "He's my professor, fine," she said, "but who cares if we're together?"

"Oh, Toby," Carla said.

A few seconds of silence and then Carla took a deep breath. "Maybe I should leave you two alone first. Mara?"

Mara nodded her head and went upstairs with Carla, leaving Marielle and I alone. I just didn't know what to say.