44: "...can you just leave me alone for a little bit?"

“Haley? Ha-ley?”

I crank my music up so loud I can’t hear the voices and keep my eyes on my art. I want to look up and smile. I want to talk to Matt and Trevor. But even though they’re only two feet away from me, I can’t. If I even look up, I probably won’t be able to control myself.

“Haley! What’s the matter with you?”

Trevor is standing next to me, one of my earbuds in his hand. I try not to look at him, but just him being there is enough to bring tears to my eyes.

“Trevor, can you just…can you just leave me alone for a little bit?” I whisper, trying not to let the tears fall. Since when was I this emotional? “I really can’t talk right now.” He pats my back and kisses my cheek.

“I’ll talk to you later.” He goes back to his seat. My cheek is burning. I turn around and ask if I can go to the bathroom. Today is going to suck.

I ignore Trevor all day. He and Matt must have warned the others because they don’t bother me too much. Clarice and Spike approach me at my locker during break. Clarice pulls me into a huge hug.

“Trevor said you didn’t want to talk today.” I nod. “Then I’ll talk to you some other time,” she says with a smile. “Whenever you need someone to talk to, just give me a call, okay?” I nod again, and find myself transferred to Spike’s arms.

“I’m not going to be quite as forgiving, Haley,” he says seriously. “You’re going to tell me what’s going on eventually, is that clear?” I nod and he holds me even tighter. “Call me up some time and we can hang out, okay?” One question. I have one question before I leave him alone.

“Are you and Clarice going out now?”

He smiles proudly.

“Yup. We’re going to the movies tonight.” He looks down at me. “Are you and Trevor…?” I shake my head. The news will have to get out eventually.

“No.”

He frowns.

“That’s not what Trevor seems to think.”

I just shrug and turn away. They leave, Spike looking rather concerned. I hear Clarice ask him what’s wrong and he just shakes his head, saying that he’s worried about Trevor. Trust Spike to know not to let the news spread before I tell Trevor myself. He really is a wonderful friend.

Friend.

I avoid my friends during lunch, hanging out near the library instead. I do homework, then go to work. I ignore several calls from Clarice and a couple hundred from Trevor. Go to sleep, wake up, repeat.

Ignore people, homework, work, go to sleep, wake up, repeat.

Again

and again.

By the end of two weeks I’ve got it down. I’m used to it. I barely think of T—my friends at all. Every day I ignore calls, flip through text messages. I’ve done this before, years ago. Eventually, they will stop. They will leave me alone. That’s what happened last time.

I go to work on day 9. I bag groceries and clean up some kid’s little accident on aisle ten. Then I go back to bagging groceries. Someone puts a sack of potatoes on the counter.

“Hi,” says the cashier girl with a smile.

“Hi.”

It’s Trevor. Oh my God, it’s Trevor. I look up in fear.

“How are you today?” The cashier tries again. I lift the bag of potatoes and put them in the cart. Maybe this girl will save me.

“Haley, can I talk to you?” He ignores her. He flat out ignores her. It’s not my fault I feel giddy inside. That’s right, Britney. You can’t have him because he’s—he’s not interested. That’s why. Trevor grabs me by the arm and drags me to the Starbucks inside the store. It’s okay. My shift is over now anyway.

“Hi,” I say, ignoring the tingles on my arm. He grabs my hand and forces me to look at him. He’s gotten more gorgeous as the days have passed.

“You’ve been avoiding me,” he says simply. I nod. “Why?”

Because I love you. And I’m not supposed to. It’s not fair. But I don’t say anything. It’s embarrassing to admit in the first place. And knowing Trevor he won’t take no for an answer. He’ll keep bothering me and bothering me until I can’t take it anymore. And then Trina will be left behind.

“Haley, you can tell me anything. You know that, right?” I shrug. His voice gets more insistent. “Haley, you know that, right?” He sounds almost desperate. “Look, I don’t know what your parents told you if they’re punishing you or if they’ve moved you to a different state. And frankly, I don’t care.” This doesn’t sound right. Trevor lets out a sigh. “That’s not what I meant. What I mean is that I’m not about to pitch a fit over it. I just want to know what it is.”

“Is that all you came for?” I ask. He shakes his head.

“I need to tell you something really important.” I look up at him. What on earth could it possibly be? He takes a deep breath, and then two. I wait.

“Haley?” I wait. He takes my hand and looks me in the eye. “I love you.”

I want to jump up and down. I want to yell it to the world. He loves me! This beautiful boy loves me! I duck my head so he can’t see the joy in my face. And then I realize that he’s waiting.

I’ve prepared myself to say these words. I’ve practiced them for the past week. I told myself that until I could say them to his face, I would not hang out with my friends. But saying them in person is so much harder. I can’t get the words out. He looks at me, worried.

“Haley, do you…feel the same way?” I’ve practiced this. Come on, Haley! Tell him ‘no’ like you mean it! Even if you don’t. I just shake my head.

“Do you even…like me a little?” His voice trembles. I don’t want to hurt him. But best friends over guys, right? I summon all the willpower I have within me.

And I shake my head again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe you guys reached the 200 votes thing last night and frankly, I was quite amazed! College has a crazy workload, so I'm sorry for not being as active as I should be. Let me know if you think there's anything unrealistic with this chapter. And don't worry, the next two chapter is when Clarice comes in. And we all know how Clarice refuses to take no for an answer :D