21: ghetto phone darts and Team Spike

Chapter 21: ghetto phone darts and Team Spike

I explain everything to Clarice. Well, almost everything. How I lived at home alone and Trevor did too, half the week, so his parents asked me to live with them.

“That’s nice of them. I didn’t think they’d be that chill about it. They’re pretty conservative,” she notes. I shrug.

“I was having a bad day, so they let me stay over one night. I was gonna go back home but they asked me to stay.” She doesn’t ask about my bad day, she just nods.

“Where are your parents?” I ask. She gestures outside of her bedroom.

“They probably aren’t home yet. They’re going on a date.”

I’m confused.

“Together?” She nods and leans back against the bed, her toes in Janice’s picture’s face. I ponder that for a second. “That’s…cute.” I point to the sofa. “Any reason there’s a sofa in your room?”

“All the better for ghetto phone darts,” she says with a sly grin. I have to agree.

“So…do you want to go to my place or should I stay here or should I leave?”

“By your place do you mean Trevor’s or yours?” I think about that.

“We can go to either.”

“I think we should stay here. We can’t gossip with Trevor listening to us!” I’m not sure what gossiping we’re supposed to be doing. I say so.

“You mean you haven’t heard?” I cock my head to the side and raise an eyebrow. “Puh-lease! Half the school’s calling you a whore and you haven’t heard?” Oh. That. “You have no idea how many girls I’ve punched out over you.”

“For reals?”

“Yes! How have you not heard?” I shrug.

“I’ve heard stuff.”

“Doesn’t it bother you?” I think about it for a moment.

“A little. But I think it’ll just die down. I mean, I haven’t done anything to make them keep talking.”

“Nothing?” She looks at me incredulously. “You’ve got the two most gorgeous guys on campus chasing after you simultaneously! Even I’d be furious if I didn’t—” she cuts herself off. Right. If it weren’t for Matt.

“So you think it’ll get worse?” I ask. She nods.

“Definitely.” Thanks a lot, Clarice. “Just wait until the French fieldtrip.” I look at her, confused. “There’s a fieldtrip to some French history museum day after tomorrow. Trevor’s in my French class, you know that, right?” I think about it. It makes sense, considering Spanish is the only class I don’t have with him.

“But Corey will be around.”

“He’s from Belgium. Half of Belgium speaks French. Chances are, he’s going too.”

“So?” She looks at me like I’m insane.

“The only reason the girls haven’t pummeled you by now is because they don’t want Corey or Trevor hating them. All you’ve gotten so far is dirty looks, right? Just wait. Girls can be vicious.” And with that she goes to brush her teeth.
***
“Are you going for that French fieldtrip?” Clarice asks Trevor on the way to school. He forfeited the shotgun seat for her while I drive.

“Yeah. It’s on Thursday, right?” he asks. Clarice nods and gives me a look. I ignore her. My mind is preoccupied with the upcoming lunch drive. If Clarice is still avoiding Matt, we’re going to have a problem.

Thankfully, since we now have so many people going to lunch with us, we start splitting the ride. Trevor, Clarice and I go in Trevor’s car, while Matt, Corey and Spike go in his car. The fact that Clarice opted not to sit with Matt creates a really awkward atmosphere as we split up. An atmosphere which continues as we arrive at the restaurant.

Lunch is a pain in the ass. There’s Corey hitting on me, Trevor trying not to punch Corey’s lights out, Janice trying to hit on Trevor, Matt and Corey at the same time, Matt is looking at Clarice sadly and Clarice staring mournfully into the distance. At this point, Spike and I are the only sane ones around. Once I finish my sandwich, Spike grabs my arm and yanks me up.

“We need to fill the car with gas.” No one argues. But as I pass Janice, she whispers to me:

“What do you know? The whore has another boy wrapped around her finger. Isn’t two enough for you?” I walk out of the restaurant, stunned. I realize now how horrible Thursday can be. Spike gets in the driver’s seat and slams the door shut. I follow.

“What’s going on?” Spike looks like he’s about to explode.

“Why do you think something is going on?” I ask. He looks at me like I’m insane.

“Do you not see the tension in there? It’s ridiculous. Janice has somehow gotten license to be an even bigger whore, Trevor and Corey are about to kill each other, and the lovebirds are both looking miserable.”

I shrug. I guess it’s just too obvious that something is wrong.

“Why?” Spike asks. “What did they fight over?” I shake my head.

“I can’t tell you. Matt doesn’t even know yet. What do you know about Janice?” Spike sighs and runs a hand through his long dark hair. His snakebite glitters a bit in the sun.

“Whatever she said, don’t believe it. She and Matt were going out for a while last year and over the summer and I think she still has it out for him for dumping her.”

“Well, what she showed was pretty incriminating,” I say with a sigh, leaning back. “Why are we here, by the way?”

“Well, I was fed up of it and I figured you were too.”

“Thanks. I was definitely ready to smash my sandwich into someone’s skull. But that would’ve been a waste of sandwich.” Spike laughs. Suddenly, I think of something.

“Spike, do you have a tattoo?”

“What?” I shrug, knowing I’m treading on thin ice here.

“You just seem like the stereotypical ‘guy with snakebite and tattoo.’ And I’ve never seen a tattoo on anyone before, so…” He laughs and takes his shirt off. Okay…what? He turns around so I can see a tattoo on his muscular shoulder blade. Oh. That makes so much more sense. It’s a woman turning into a weeping willow. The willow has a swing on it, and a little boy is smiling as he swings on it. I lean closer to see the little boy. He has a snakebite.

“Awwww! It’s chibi Spike!” I coo. I can’t help it. It’s a little miniature manga-styled baby Spike! So cute! Wait. What am I doing?

“I know. I’m adorable, right?” he asks, a smile in his voice. I run my finger over the tree, causing a brief shiver to run through him.

“Can I ask who the woman is?” He pauses.

“My mom.” I want to ask, but I don’t. I just sit there, my fingers on his tattoo. The curiosity burns inside of me. I open my mouth again, but Spike pulls his shirt back on and turns to me.

“Don’t tell anyone.”

“About what?”

“The tattoo.” I just nod, confused. He puts the key in the ignition and glances at the fuel gauge. “Full. Just as I thought. All right, let’s go.” He gets out of the car and opens my door for me. I just look at him. He sighs and grabs me by the arm. “Let’s go!” He pushes me towards the door. I wonder if anyone noticed we didn’t even leave the parking lot.