TREVOR: "Get yourself in gear because I flatly refuse to let you lose to Corey."

Her arms around my middle, her head pressed against my pounding heart. Can she hear it?

I love you.

It's not my voice, it's a girl's. But I want to say those words out loud. Loud and clear so Haley can hear me. But I can't even look at her. If I thought she was pretty before, tonight she's gorgeous. Stunning. But she's someone else's.

Haley jumps away from me as though she heard the voice, too.

"Trina's happy," she says with a smile. I smile back and reach for her hand.

"Then so am I."

When did I start loving Haley? I don't know. Maybe when she punched Christa's lights out, all strong and beautiful. Maybe when she was pouring her heart out. Maybe when she stepped out of her bedroom, looking more beautiful than I'd ever seen her before. Maybe when I held her, trembling, before Trina's grave. Or maybe just now, when those words that weren't my own swept melodically through my ears.

We head home in silence, the now empty duffel bag in the back seat. I'm gonna have to come early tomorrow and clean all the lights up. Suddenly, Haley asks a question.

"How did you know Trina's favorite color?"

I smile, thinking about the hasty call I'd made to Trina's mom hours ago.

"I do my research."

She nods and looks out the window.

We pull into the driveway. I'm so tired. Clarice woke me up early this morning to rope me into some plan of hers.

***
"You like Haley, don't you?"

I rub my eyes to find Clarice standing before me.

"It's times like these when I'm glad I sleep in a T-shirt and pajamas," I say sleepily. She waves my concern away with a hand.

"Answer the question."

I think about it for a second. I mean, the answer is pretty obvious, but dare I say it aloud?

"Yes."

"Good." She yanks open the curtains and pulls the covers off me. "Then get yourself in gear because I flatly refuse to let you lose to Corey."

"What are you talking about?" She glares at me.

"I'm talking about the fact that the girl of your dreams is about to go out with some gorgeous jackass and you're lazing around here doing nothing!" I prop myself up on my elbows.

"For starters, I said I liked her. That doesn't mean she's the girl of my dreams. Secondly, what do you want me to do?" She ignores me.

"I'm taking Haley out all day. I want you to plan something nice for her when she gets back. You are not losing to Corey."

***

Mom gives me a look as we walk in. My nice dress pants have a bit of dirt on the knees, as do Haley's bare legs. At first I think it's a "how dare you destroy those pants" look but then I see Dad's eyes flit between my outfit and Haley's, putting 2 and 2 together to make 4 and a half. He nudges Mom and the two share a furtive high-5 under the table. Haley doesn't notice.

"How was your date with Corey, Haley?" Mom asks. Haley's head snaps up.

"Huh? Oh! Corey. Um, yeah, it was fun."

"Did you have dinner?" Dad's grin grows embarrassingly wide as he winks at me.

Haley nods and then briefly explains about Dr. Thornton's appearance. "I told him I never wanted to see him again, so I'd appreciate it if..." she trails off. Dad nods.

"Understood." Haley excuses herself and goes to bed. Dad and Mom get up to do the same, Dad grabbing me in an affectionate headlock as he passes.

"Go get 'em, tiger."

"Um, thanks, Dad."

I text Clarice and tell her that operation "Intercept-a-Date" was a success.

"movie?" she texts back.
"no."
"dinner?"
"no."
"then?"
"it's personal."
"did you at least hold hands?"
"yup. and she gave me a hug."

She sends back a satisfied response and a good night. I shut the phone off and go to sleep. Seeing Haley tomorrow will be awkward, but tonight was worth it.

____________________________________________________________________

Okay. Who thinks the parents are freaking adorable? lol. I have two more chapters ready, so if we can get 100 votes on this one by day after tomorrow, I'll post both of those! Let's try to get to that 100 this time, okay? I have over 200 fans, so it shouldn't be too hard!

Next Chapters Preview:

"Oh my God, Haley, are you and Corey going out?"
"No."
***
Do I like him? It’s not even a question anymore.
***
Why is it that that look makes me feel so awful? It’s like I’ve disappointed Spike. But why do I care?
***
“You drive carefully, a’ight?"
***
I brake suddenly, propelling Spike forward.