Chapter 1: Jolly Alpha Five Niner

I sigh through my nose impatiently, my hand reaching up to grab one of the straps of my backpack for the tenth time. I shift in my seat uncomfortably, having long since given up the effort of not fidgeting in my chair.

Another huff of air leaves my mouth as my other hand adjusts my headset. I hate waiting. For years I have been praying to God to help me with patience, but still it's a daily struggle. With the zombie apocalypse going on one would think I'd have my thoughts and prayers focused on other things, and while they are, patience is still at the top of my list.

"Abel Township is just on the horizon. See it now?" My partner asks. I blink, returning back to this cruel reality. I look over at... Sierra? Yes, that's her name, I think. She brushes back her black hair as sapphire eyes dart over to glance at me for a split second before returning to what's in front of her.

"Not much more than a few fences to keep the zoms out. I don't know how they live like that."

Me neither, I think to myself. Seeing the town at first glance I can't help but think... pathetic. If I could, I would voice my thoughts, but I can't and signing it would take too much time. Besides, I don't feel like starting up a conversation anyway.

"Guess they won't be living like that much longer." She presses a few buttons before speaking again. "Abel Township, Jolly Alpha Five Niner from Mullins Military Base. We're five miles out, approaching from the East, bringing med supplies, shelters, and loan of one of our people. Abel Township, Jolly Alpha Five Niner requesting permission to land."

"Got that," A male voice replies. "I uh, mean roger that. You're clear to-yeah, you can-you can come on in."

I bite my lip as a smile slowly spreads across my face. He's nervous. It's... cute in a way...

In a very small way.

"Roger that, Abel," Sierra confirms. "Heading down now."

Then she looks over at me. I blink, then rub my brown eyes as Sierra continues her intense gaze, making me shift in my seat for different reasons than boredom.

"Level with me. You and me both know we haven't got half the usual supplies. We've lied to the township."

I fiddle with the ends of my hair, shrugging, and my partner sighs.
"Yeah, I know, you don't know anything. Someone at Abel's going to come up and say, 'I'm here to brief you on project Greenshoot,' and then you'll find out what your mission really is."

I swallow, silently wondering if I want to know what my mission really is. The secrets and whispers are usually what causes trouble, and if this mission is so important I'm getting briefed by someone outside Mullins... The thought makes me feel uneasy.

"I just-" Sierra's words cease and she looks ahead with wide eyes. "What the-Someone's shooting." I feel my pulse quicken. "That's not from the township. Who the hell has a rocket launcher in this-"

I'm suddenly jerked to the side and the second after we're shaking. My teeth are rattling and I clench my jaw painfully as one of my hands grab the bottom of my seat to steady myself. It doesn't do much really, but my thoughts on my rattling brain and shaking bones are put to a halt as I hear a loud reoccurring beeping noise and red lights flash. It burns my eyes. And Sierra's words shake me to the core.

"We're hit. I've lost the tail rotor."

I can feel us falling, getting closer and closer to eventually hit the ground with a loud crash and painful splat. With my racing thoughts I instantly grab for a parachute, slipping it in and pressing it against my thin backpack.

My throat is dry and my chest is tight.
My heart is hammering in my chest so hard it's actually painful. I can't breathe properly. I can't-

Don't panic, My brain screams, shaking me from my fear. Don't breath too quickly. Don't freeze up. Don't do anything stupid.