Chapter 1- Angel of darkness

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody."

~Mark Twain~

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~

~Chapter One~

That Sunday started like any other normal Sunday for me.

It was a dark, cloudy day. I wore a black sweater, a plain white shirt, blue denims, and black converse. My hair was up in a messy ponytail.

I walked through the empty street. One of the new-building areas where everyone is at work to pay off their cars and mortgages, leaving the streets deserted, but clearly occupied, until a short time ago.

At the end of that street was my destination. The best bookstore in the area.

It was a very old building, probably built back in the early 1900's. It had tons of books in all genres, which is why I've always liked it so much. It wasn't a big store, but it wasn't small either.

Although it's a great place, not too many people go, and buy books there so, it sort of looks like an abandoned building.

It was quite a distance from my house, but I liked walking there and back.

What can I say? I love books, reading, and, anything related to it.

When I pushed the door open, the little golden bell rang, and I was greeted by a smiling Mrs. Lee.

Her face was like a road map. Every wrinkle, every line, had a memory in it. Her eyes, once a sparkling bright green, were dulled with age. Hair that was once raven black had now faded into a whitish gray. Her smile was so gentle and kind, like her heart.

After her husband's death from old age, she had decided to work in this book store to earn money. Sometimes I helped her clean it because, her age made it difficult.

"Hi, sweetie. How are you today?" She asked politely as, she held some heavy old books.

"I'm fine, Mrs. Lee," I said with a smile, taking them from her fragile arms. "Where should I put them?" I asked, looking around.

"At that shelf," she pointed her weak hand towards a huge heap behind the big countertop with the cash register, and some other things on top of it. "Thanks for your help, darling." She gave me a warm smile, sitting in her wooden chair.

It was kind of hard to place these books on the dusty, huge shelf since it was so high, so I needed to step up on a ladder.

"Be careful," she warned, as she was afraid that, I may fall. I appreciated how much she cared; she just made me feel special.

As I shook my head, I started my search for unique books. I went through shelf after shelf, but I couldn't find any that caught my interest. It had to be something that wouldn't be a waste of money. I didn't have much, just the regular allowance from my parents.

While going through a very full shelf of books, a book fell out by mistake. Behind the book that had just fallen to its death on the floor, I found a really big, old book. It smelled rotten, like spoiled milk or vegetables that have been left in the fridge for months.

I was going to put it back in its place, but the shape of it attracted me. I lifted the book up from the ground touching the carved letters on it. The blinding shades were more curved than usual, and the letters were engraved in some kind of elegant design. Calligraphy, maybe.

It read 'The Other Side of the Door' in intricate writing. Its jacket had a circle under the title, and in it was a star. I had heard it was a strong sign of magic.