9. Demons

I wanna dedicate this chapter to all of the Gleeks and Cory fans out there.

R.I.P Cory, May you finally be able to dance in heaven. I love you. .xx

***

I wanna hide the truth

I wanna shelter you

But with the beast inside

There's nowhere we can hide

No matter what we breed

We still are made of greed

This is my kingdom come

When you feel my heat

Look into my eyes

It's where my demons hide

Don't get too close

It's dark inside

It's where my demons hide

-Demons, Imagine Dragons.

**

Three weeks later

"So you haven't seen him for three weeks?" Kiara asked me, taking a sip out of her coffee. I nodded.

"Yeah, haven't heard from, seen, talked to, or thought about him for three weeks in a row." I twirled the straw in my cup around, focusing on the spinning liquid.

I lied, I had been thinking about him. I had been lying to everyone about how I was fine and a day or two of crying was enough, but strangely I felt as though something was off. I always felt like I had eyes one me and that I was being watched.

Since I had been away from Ashton, I had felt like I needed to look over my shoulder every five minutes. I didn't feel safe anymore, and even though he scared the shit out of me, i felt oddly at ease when his heat overwhelms me.

"Riley?" Kiara waved a hand in front of my face. "You home?"

"Sorry." I said, running a hand through my hair. "I kinda zoned out."

"Yeah, you seem to be doing that a log lately." She chuckled breathily, taking another sip from her drink.

"Don't get me wrong, Ki, I really wanna hang out, but I'm just not up to it today." I told her, standing from my seat and throwing my bag over my shoulder. She sighed; nodding.

"I'll see you at the house then?" I nodded.

"Bye." I waved, walking out of the little shop.

My ears were soon plugged with the beats of Imagine Dragons' music, Lost Cause.

I captured everything I could in memory, knowing this nigh be the last time I look at everything in close view.

My thoughts were run short as I slammed into something hard. I yanked the ear buds out of my ears, ready to shout at the boy who I had ran into, but as soon as I looked up, my breath caught in my throat and I couldn't move.

His eyes were dull, a sharp pain hidden behind them. He had a tight fitting black shirt on, along with converse and a pair of skinny jeans. His good was up, along with his beanie adorning his hair.

"A-Ashton." I breathed out, his heat making me uneasy.

"Riley." His voice was ragged, hard. He didn't seem like himself.