7. A Twist In My Story

Haha told you guys is post today.

***

Whispers turn to shouting,

Shouting turns to tears,

Your tears turn into laughter,

And takes away our fears.

-Secondhand Serenade, 'A Twist In My Story'

___

**TWO DAYS LATER**

Today.

Today, it's three years.

Three years since I heard her voice.

Three years since I saw his smile.

Three years since I talks to my parents.

Three years since they died.

It's been a long time, if you think about it. Three years, 1,095 days, 26,280 hours, 1,576,800 minutes. I'd go down to seconds but my head hurts now.

I've never been alone on this day. I've always had Kiara with me to go visit them or eat lunch with me. I've never gone alone to their grave. But I guess I'll have to do it sometime or another, right?

I pulled into the parking lot of the cemetery and turned off the car.

"You can do this, Riley." I told myself. "Stop being such a girl and got say hi to mom and dad."

I hopped out of the car and walked through the cemetery, knowing exactly where to go.

"Hi, mom and dad." I whispered as I sat down on the grass. "How are you?" I laughed a little. "I forgot you can't answer me."

"So I met someone." I felt a gust of wind blow through my hair and laughed. "He's not the kinda boy to be excited about though."

"He's different. Better I think. Maybe he's just the thing I need to, ya know, get back out there?" My mom always told me that I needed to live while I ha the chance. And when she died, I vowed that I would take her up on that.

"Maybe he's just what I need. I mean, he makes me feel.. Good! For the first time in a while, I have a genuine smile when I'm not with Kiara." I smiled, thinking about Ashton. "He's great."

"And Kiara. She's been so good about everything since you left. Right now she would be here but he's in Ireland spending time with Niall before he's shipped off to America for work." I sighed, missing her. Things were silent for a minute until I spoke again.

"I miss you guys a lot. Like more than you can imagine." I felt the tears prickle at the edge of my eyes, holding back until I got home. "I just wish I could hug you again." My eyes betrayed me as I squeezed them tight, feeling a pang if hurt rush through me. "I wish I could just hear your voice, Momma. I miss you, so much!"

"Daddy, I love you so much an I miss you singing to me before bed." I sucked in a sharp breath upon feeling a cold chill. "I love you both so much." I laid a rose on each of the stones and walked away, blowing a kiss to the sky as I go in the car.

My tears freely streamed down my face a I shouted profanities at no one in particular, bashing my hands against the steering wheel.

This is what heart break feels like.

**

I walked into the kitchen in a tank top and pajama pants, getting a glass of water and drinking it down quickly.

I heard a knock on the door, walking towards if. I straightened my pony tail and pulled my tank top hem down so it wasn't showing my stomach. When I opened the door I was greeted by a smiling Ashton.