Chapter Thirty-Eight - "Error Plus One"

Jake

I agreed with Sarah, it was a foolish plan. But I was sure our reasoning wasn’t the same. I was still reeling from the fact that Addison Torres had an entire family. It was no better when I was sleeping with her even when I knew she was married, but with kids, there was so much more at stake. I needed to see her, if only to make sense of the fact that I truly was a home-wrecker.

Sarah, on the other hand, thought the plan was risky, because of the fact that I was working with her, and Addison wanted her in the slammer. But it was the only thing we could do to find out if Madison had any knowledge of Tyler’s whereabouts.

The plan: Getting into the Torres home, to find a way to get closer to Madison’s laptop, and other things, to find something that could help find Tyler.

It was the highest form of unorthodox, but we really had no other way.

To Sarah, I was supposedly going to Addison’s to talk about when I would be back at work, and to plead Sarah’s case.

Sarah felt a little embarrassed at the cover story, mostly because she didn’t want Addison to think she actually gave a damn; I was nervous because I knew what would probably end up happening if I called Addie up.

I made the call in front of the apartment building, under the pretense that I was going to get our mail.

She picked up after three rings.

“Addison Torres speaking,” she said.

I suddenly felt a slight disgust at having her voice so close in my ears, and even more, guilt.

“Addie, it’s Jake,” I replied. I’d been sure to hide the caller ID, and I was using a burner cell in the off chance that she decided to trace the call, but I was pretty sure she wouldn’t.

She was quiet for a minute and I heard movement and shuffling. “Jake,” she said in a hushed whisper, and I figured she’d moved to a corner or something, for privacy. “Where have you been? You were due back at work weeks ago.”

I sighed, “I need to see you, Addie.”

“See me? Or see me?” she asked.

“You know what I mean,” I answered.

“Fine. Meet me at my place tomorrow at ten in the morning,” she said nonchalantly, but I could almost hear the longing in her voice.

“Okay,” I muttered ready to hang up.

“When are you coming back, though? What the hell are you and your friend playing at? This is your duty, your responsibility. Is this what I get for giving you a two-week leave of absence? You’ve been away for months!” she ranted.

“Addie, let’s not discuss this now. I’ll see you tomorrow,” I said, and hung up, dreading the coming morning as I took in the setting sun.

*

Her house was as I expected – perfection. Literally. Not a weed in place, not a crack in the driveway, not even a leaf out of place. I’d always known Addison to be a perfectionist, and I’d sometimes imagined what her home would be like. My imagination was complete reality.

What I didn’t expect was the size.

Seeing Madison at that ridiculously highbrow school, I knew that her family must have money, but I didn’t expect such comfortable living situations.