Chapter Sixteen - "The Break in Consistency"

Sarah

Three years ago

I watched the lady pick up her son and wrap him in a full, kiss-filled embrace; it was one of those moments that made me feel totally and completely content.

We’d just spent the last two weeks looking for Francois Burnett, a four year old whose nanny had kidnapped him for ransom.

I glanced over at Jake, who was leaning against my car in the driveway, staring at me.

“What?” I asked, strolling over.

“You know how you look at the family after we’ve got them together again? Well, I look at you.”

I frowned, “Why?”

“Your face. It just . . . lights up,” he replied.

I leaned against the car next to him, and looked back over at the Burnetts as they hugged each other with tears of joy. It was beautiful.

I nudged Jake with my shoulder, and smiled, “We did that”, referring to their reconciliation.

“Yeah we did,” he said, with a cheesy grin.

I sighed, “So . . . what now?” I asked, going over to the passenger side of the car.

“Beers at the intersection?” he asked, getting into the car.

“Yes,” I grinned. It was one of those moments when I knew that I definitely wasn’t unhappy.

That was a typical case – one of the smooth ones. I suddenly missed that.

I pulled on my jacket and tied my hair into a messy bun. I stuck my gun in its holster and made my way out to the hall, where Jake was waiting. We were heading out of New Jersey to talk to one of the families on Mary’s list – the Coles, in Hartford, Connecticut.

“You ready?” he asked, as I locked the front door.

I gave him a blank look; I wouldn’t let him know how worried I was about everything, “Of course,” I said and walked on ahead.

“So, is this one missing or just . . . with the wrong parents?” Jake asked, as we made our way downstairs.

“I wouldn’t call them wrong . . . they’re just not his birth parents,” I replied.

“So, who are we going to talk to first?”

“Well, the adoptive parents live closest, so I guess it’s them,” I answered, hopping into the driver’s seat.

I was trying not to let my inner turmoil show, but it was hard. What if we ruined a perfectly good family? What if we destroyed a growing relationship? Or worse, what if we put them in danger? Considering we weren’t even supposed to be doing any of this, the burden was sure as hell still weighing me down.

“Are you going to start the car?” Jake asked, breaking me out of my mental conversation. My hand was raised, pointing the key towards the ignition.

“Sorry,” I said, sticking the key in and speeding off before I let my hesitation take over.

“Are you okay?” Jake asked, eyeing me warily.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” I answered rhetorically.

But he responded, “Well, this is a big case; your leave has been over for a while, and you’re probably suspended or worse; we’re practically committing treason; we could ruin a family or two. Need I go on?”