Chapter Eight - "There's Something About Mary"

Sarah

Four years ago

I once dated a drug trafficking cop. It was an experience. But that’s not the point.

I’d been having a rough couple of months and Don Harris walked into the department one afternoon. He spilled his smoldering cup of coffee down my shirt. I swore and then screamed.

I didn’t date him because we practically got to second base as he tried to dab my chest dry with paper towels. Or because he wouldn’t take no for an answer. But because everywhere I turned, somebody was in a growing relationship, and they all seemed blissfully happy. I was miserable, so there was no harm in seeing if some romance would help to ease my depression.

It didn’t. But that’s not the point either.

The point is, we’d broken up two months later; because I couldn’t seem to put him before the one man already in my life. It had really gotten me reflecting on all my relationships.

I was drowning my reflection in a glass of white wine at a bar that I’d bought, for the sole purpose of being able to privately drown my sorrows whenever I pleased.

Jake had strolled in at some point during the night. Apparently he’d been walking by and supposed I might be in there, as I was very often. He had no idea I owned it and I didn’t think he needed to know. It was closed for the night, but the bartenders knew Jake and assumed I wouldn’t mind him joining me. I did. Very much.

“Bad night?” he asked.

I shrugged, feeling uncomfortable about his presence. You’d think his powers of detection would come in handy. Apparently not.

“What’s wrong? Donny piss you off?” he asked jokingly. He didn’t like Don and had made no moves to hide it.

“We broke up,” I murmured. I wasn’t so torn up about it, but I was wondering, if romance couldn’t cure my depression, what could?

“Oh,” he said, barely audible, “What happened?”

Like I was going to say it. ‘We broke up because I love you more than I do him.’ It sounded very weird, considering I felt no romantic feelings for Jake, but it was what it was.

“We got bored,” I lied.

Jake raised his brows, “Wow. So, that’s it?”

I raised my glass, “Cheers,” I muttered sarcastically.

“I’m sorry, Sarah. You seemed happy.”

‘Seemed’ being the operative word.

“Yeah,” I murmured.

“How about I make a night of trying to cheer you up, for every mean thing I ever said about him?” he said, getting up.

“It’s going to be a really long night, Jake,” I said with a sarcastic smile.

“Then, the sooner we begin, the better,” he replied pulling me up.

He paused as his phone rang, and stared at the screen for a few seconds.

“What?” I asked wary.

“Um . . . It’s Carla. Her cat died. It’s been sick,” he said with an embarrassed wince. Carla was his current girlfriend and one of the longest lasting. I settled back onto my seat, starting to sip my wine again.