chapter eight | khari

After walk through with the coaching staff, I decided to get some shots up. We had a game tomorrow which meant it'll be my first game of the season. I wanted to get in a little rhythm because I knew I could be a bit rusty. Although I stayed in shape while I sat out a full year, I wasn't in basketball shape.

Basketball has become my sanctuary. On the court, I'm able to be who I am without wearing a mask. I played basketball when one person supported me in the stands to where I had no one in the stands cheering my name. My dad never attempted to show me any support. The only support he gave me was when he held me up in the air one night and beat me until I was unconscious.

It was the second night of my stay after my mother was killed. From that day forward, I vowed to never let him beat me that way again. I kept my promise and the next time he hit me, I hit him back. That would be the story for the next six years in that household. We'd beat each other then he would go on to beat his wife. The deal breaker was when I graduated and he beat his wife to a bloody pulp. I stepped in to stop him, but he pulled a gun on me.

That's when I knew. I knew I couldn't stay there any longer. If I'd stayed, he would've killed me. I hate I had to leave the woman and make her deal with him by herself, but I had to save my ass. I guarantee that he would've killed before he killed her. He hated me for some odd reason. I never knew why, but I really wasn't trying to figure out.

The basketball shooting machine shot the ball out to me and I shot it in rhythm.

Swish.

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.

Swish.

But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.

Dribble, drive, dunk. Run to the corner, catch the ball, shoot. Swish. Dribble, dribble, fake, crossover, spin, stepback...Swish. My mind went back to that unforgettable night where my life changed forever. Jaws clenched. Fists bald up. I could feel the tears coming down, but something wouldn't let me. I couldn't cry. Not now.

So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Sets feet. Shoots. Swish.

The perspiration fell down my face quickly as I looked above the rim. I had been here for over three hours. I walked over to where my things were and placed my hoodie over my head. I took a sip of water from my water bottle, and whipped my bag over my shoulder. Walking out of the gym and into the cool night, I felt better.

As I was walking along the sidewalk, I walked past the boxing gym and spotted Karmen getting a work out in. It was pretty late for her to be working out, but I guess you could say the same for me. I opened the door and walked in. She seemed angry from the punches she was throwing at the bag. Once the door closed, she looked back and stopped.