Chapter Twenty-Six: Slow your roll there, Wiz Khalifa

"Get up." Paxton sighed, rubbing his face and motioning for me to move.

I looked at him, my eyes probably still puffy.

We dropped everything and tried to get to New York as fast as possible as soon as Nancy told me about Aaron's status.

It was hard saying goodbye to my parents when we just finally reached a sense of normalcy. I had just found out such good news about my mom and her remission and to have that happiness stripped away from you so quickly, I wasn't sure how to feel at the moment.

I just felt numb.

"I'm fine." I replied.

"You've been sitting in that chair for the past fifteen hours."

"I'm fine." I hissed.

Paxton rolled his eyes, tired of my stubbornness.

"He's not waking up anytime soon, Nancy already assured us of that."

I glared at him, not in the mood to bicker.

"Just leave me alone."

"In case you haven't noticed, you're not the only one with emotional attachment to him. He's my brother. I need to process too."

I frowned, realizing he had a point and I was being selfish. I wasn't the only one hurting.

"I'm only getting up because you made a point. Not because I'm tired."

He rolled his eyes again and nudged me away.

"Leave."

I sight and stepped outside, closing the door and leaning against it, sliding down until I reached the floor.

I placed my head in my arms and stayed like that till I felt the presence of someone next to me.

I looked up and saw Nancy next to me. She was in her scrubs, her cap in her hands.

"You're working right now?" I asked, surprised.

She smiled sadly.

"That's what my chief asked me too. Believe it or not, I'd rather work than sit around helpless. I'd drive myself insane thinking about all the possible outcomes. And believe me when I tell you I know them all. Med school doesn't shy away from death."

I scoffed. "How could it? It's tied into your profession."

"I'm afraid so. You'd think I'd be better equipped to handle this."

I shook my head. "You're never fully equipped to hear that someone you love is about to die."

"That's a sad truth."

I leaned my head against the door. "How are you and Pete doing?"

She smiled sadly again. "We don't really know what to do, hon. All we keep telling each other is to have faith."

I nodded my head. "Do you think he'll ever wake up?" I turned to her.

She looks at me, her eyes tired and sad. "I honestly don't know."

***

Paxton finally stepped out of the room about an hour and a half later, causing me to fall back and hiss in pain.

"Weren't you supposed to go rest?" He asked.

"I was quite comfortable before you disturbed me, thank you very much."