Chapter 82

Matt's POV

"Matthew." My mother called from downstairs. "Are you ready?"

I looked in the mirror and smiled. Yes, I was ready.

I thought back to yesterday morning, when I was leaving and I smiled, I knew I was doing the right thing, marrying Alex was the right thing and she'd proved it then.

Brian had just arrived at our house to pick me up and drop Lola off and when I called out to Alex to tell her I was leaving she walked out to me sobbing.

"Alex, why are you crying?" I'd asked her and she looked at me and shook her head.

"I'm getting married." She wailed and I smiled, pulling her into my arm's.

"That's a good thing though." I reassured her.

"Are you sure you want to marry me Matt?" She sobbed. "I mean look at me, I'm not ideal wife material." And I pulled her closer, holding her.

"Alex, to me you're perfect." I whispered, kissing her. "And I want to marry you, I love you and I want to spend my life with you okay?"

She nodded, wiping her face. "I'm just a little stressed Matt and I don't want you to realise you've made a mistake."

"You my beautiful girl are no mistake." I whispered and I believed that, I believed that Lola moved in with Alex just for this reason, just so Alex and I could find each other. "Now I have to go, but I will see you at church tomorrow okay?"

She nodded. "I love you."

"And I love you."

And now I was on my way to the church because I was going to marry her and I couldn't wait.

We got to the church early and mom fussed over us as we stood at the front. I looked at Zack and Johnny, they were standing there looking awkward.

"You nervous?" Zack asked me and I shook my head.

"Nope." I told him. "Not at all."

He shook his head, obviously not believing me and thinking about the state he was in on his wedding day.

"They're here." My mom screeched, running down the aisle towards us. "Now stand up straight and smile." She whispered, straightening my tie and kissing my cheek. "You're doing the right thing."

"I know." I whispered and I knew I was.

I stood up straight, ignoring my mother's tears as the music started and Sarah entered, she looked pretty fabulous and judging by the look on Zack's face he thought so too.

Next came Lola, she had a bored look on her face and I smiled, she was probably still pissed because she was paired with Johnny, I thought she'd get over it but obviously not.

Brian wasn't actually in the wedding party, he had a bigger part to play and I smiled as he appeared at the end of the aisle, Alex clutching his arm.

It was Alex's idea to have Brian give her away, she had no family, we were her family and she absolutely adored him, he was thrilled when she asked him, he really was honoured and I thought the idea was absolutely perfect.

I watched them walk down the aisle, Brian my best friend and Alex my beautiful wife to be. She looked so beautiful, her dress was perfect, but she could have worn jeans, I wouldn't have cared.

They stopped in front of me, Alex looked at me and smiled. I noticed tears on her cheeks and as I watched Brian lean over and whisper something in ear I had to swallow, I felt like I was going to cry myself.

Brian took Alex's hand and placed it in mine, smiling at me. I gripped her hand tightly, I wasn't ever letting go.

"Hi." I whispered to her and she rewarded me with her beautiful smile.

"Hi." She murmured as we turned towards the minister.

This was it, finally we were getting married.

I was trying to concentrate on what the minister was saying, but I was distracted, the most beautiful woman on earth was standing next to me and she was marrying me and right at this moment I felt so fucking lucky.

"Now." The minister announced to everyone. "I'm now going to read the vows, Matt and Alex wrote these themselves."

I looked down at Alex and smiled. It had been her idea but it was a great idea, a perfect idea.

The minister cleared his throat and we looked at him.

He looked at Alex. "Alex, I can't promise you that dark clouds will never hover over our lives or that the future will bring us many rainbows. I can't promise you that tomorrow will be perfect or that life will be easy. I CAN promise you my everlasting devotion, my loyalty, my respect, my unconditional love for a lifetime. I can promise that. I'll always be here for you, to listen and to hold your hand, and I'll always do my best to make you happy and make you feel loved. I can promise you that. I'll see you through any crisis, and pray with you, dream with you, build with you, and always cheer you on and encourage you. I can promise that. I'll willingly be your protector, your advisor, your counsellor, your friend, your family, your everything. I promise you."

Oh fuck, I was going to cry. Alex was blubbering next to me and I was trying my hardest not to.

"Matt." The minister said turning to me. I took a deep breath, looking at him, then back at Alex. "Matt. I love you because you actually put effort into me. I love you because nobody has ever given me the love that you give me and you are the only one that could ever love me this way. I love you because you always make me feel that I am worth something. I love you because you have a nurturing nature and you take care of me. I love you because you made me smile when I almost forgot how to. I love you because you have a huge, honest heart. I love you and every little detail about you. I love you because you are simply you."

I couldn't help it, I reached out and pulled Alex into my arm's, burying my face in her neck, crying, because her words were so perfect, like her.

I loved this woman so much and now here I was, getting to spend the rest of my life with her.