Chapter 56

Lola's POV

It felt like we'd been here forever, sitting in this fucking waiting room, just fucking waiting. Whatever they were doing to Alex was taking hours and we were all beginning to feel the pressure. But at last finally the door opened and a nurse, followed by a doctor walked in, sitting down.

The three of us sat there, looking at them, waiting for them to say something, anything.

"She's okay." The doctor started and I heard Matt let out his breath. "The bullet was removed. It caused a bit of damage, nothing major. It nicked her left kidney and we had a little trouble slowing the bleeding, but we did, everything else looked fine."

"So nothing to major?" Matt asked.

"Well her kidney was damaged and that can always cause problems." He went on. "We debated just removing it but we didn't, over the next few days we'll keep an eye on things, we may have to go back in and remove it."

"Well, where is she?" Matt asked.

Poor Matt, he was so worried and on the verge of exhaustion. You could see it on his face, the stress the worry, all for Alex, he would only relax once he knew she was fine.

"She's in a room, sedated." He told us. "And honestly if I were you guys, I'd go home, come back in the morning. She's not going to wake up any time soon."

"I'd rather stay here." Matt said, glancing at Brian and I.

"I'm sure you would." The doctor told him. "But in my opinion you all need to go home, rest, you've had a traumatic day and she won't even know if you're here or not."

"He's right Matt." Brian said. "Let's go home, sleep."

I nodded, at least we could go home now. The police had finished in the house, it was no longer a crime scene and Sarah and Zack had gone over and cleaned up and I was glad, it really was thoughtful of her and admittedly she was beginning to grow on me.

"Can I at least see her first?" Matt asked.

The doctor nodded, rising to his feet. "Of course, follow me."

"You coming?" Matt asked us.

I shook my head. "You go, we'll wait here." I told him. "Tell her hi."

He smiled. You could see the relief on his face already. "Okay."

I looked at Brian as they left room. "Thank god." I whispered.

He smiled, pulling me into his arm's. "Yes."

I wrapped my arms around him, enjoying his closeness, closing my eye's and we stayed like that until Matt opened the door.

"Ready?" He asked us.

Brian took my hand and we silently caught the elevator down and walked to his car.

"How is she?" I asked once we were on the road, turning back to look at him.

He nodded, staring out the window. "She's okay I think. She was sleeping, she looked peaceful."

"I'm just glad she's okay." Brian said.

"Me too." Matt mumbled. "You have no idea."

Only I did have an idea, anyone could see how Matt felt about her, it was written all over his face.

We all fell silent as we pulled up at the house. The lights were on, thanks to Sarah and Zack, but I still felt apprehensive about going inside.

"It's okay." Brian murmured, squeezing my hand as Matt unlocked the front door.

He opened the door, disarming the alarm. I was glad we had the alarm and I would definitely be using it all the time now.

I glanced around, looking, but nothing looked any different and I watched as Matt walked into the kitchen. Brian and I followed him and the three of us just stopped, looking. You couldn't tell that something had happened here, there was no signs of it, only the tang of cleaning products in the air.

"Looks like Zack got a new lock for the backdoor." Brian said.

I looked and he was right, he had and I was glad. "Good."

"Sarah left food." Brian mumbled, opening the fridge and pulling out a lasagne. "What do you say we eat?" He looked at both of us and I nodded.

I glanced at Matt, he was just standing there staring, staring down at the spot where Alex had lain, bleeding. "You okay?" I asked him quietly.

He snapped his head up, looking at me. "Yeah, I am, I am now, it just seems weird, standing here, after what happened today."

I nodded, I had to agree with him. "But everything is okay." I reminded him.

"I know, it's just..." He mumbled. "It's like this house is ruined for me now, I don't think I'll be able to stay here."

"Oh yeah." Brian muttered. "I get that."

"Anyway." Matt said. "I think I'll eat and go to bed, go to the hospital first thing."

"Okay." I said softly, sad, because he was right, the house had been ruined.

"Yeah and when Alex is up to it I might talk to her about moving into my place." He said to no one in particular, grabbing a beer.

Secretly I was glad. I hoped she moved somewhere with Matt, because once Brian and I were married we'd be moving out and I really didn't want Alex staying here, not without me. It was time for her to say goodbye to this part of her life, this horrible part of her life, now she could move forward and she had a    man who loved her unconditionally to move forward with.

I was glad Alex had Matt, they belonged together and watching their relationship grow over the months had been nice, and it was special knowing that Brian and I had been a part of that, a part of their relationship and I knew we'd remain a part of it because Matt and Alex were perfect for each other, they complimented each other, they were made for each other and honestly, I couldn't ever see them being apart, they existed solely for the other and it was a beautiful thing to see.

I glanced at Brian, playing with the oven and I smiled, I existed solely for him, he completed me and soon, very soon we would be married and I couldn't fucking wait.