Chapter 9 - [The Surprise]

Nerina waited as Richard finished off the rest of his work. When he came to her, she began to throw her questions at him. “Is it really dangerous for a ship to be out during a storm?”

Richard shrugged. “Not really… well actually, it really depends on the intensity of the storm… and how high the waves are.”

“What happens if the storm is intense and the waves are high?”

“Then we’ve got to worry about flooding. Now that is troublesome.”

“What do you do, if there is a flood?”

“We gotta run around and open a bunch of hatches and get that water off the deck. Or else we could sink.”

Nerina nodded her head. “Is it dangerous for someone to be up on the deck while it’s raining?”

“If you’re fit enough.” Richard said with a grin. “You should ask the captain… since you’re all good with him now. Every time there is a rainstorm, he sits up on the deck and soaks himself to the bone.”

“Why?”

Richard shrugged. “Dunno, it’s just a silly habit of his. I think he enjoys rainstorms.”

Nerina nodded “I see.” She said.

She remained quiet as Richard walked her too her room. She was thinking about how strange it was that the captain and she had something in common. They both love to be out during rainstorms.

When they arrived at her room, he bowed like a gentleman and then smiled. “I suggest you stay inside, Princess.”

“You know, you can call me Nerina. I don’t mind.”

His smile widened. “As you wish, Nerina.” He said with a wink before he left.

She smiled and walked into her room.

She sat in her room for the rest of the evening and stared out the small, round window. She could see that the sky was darkening and it started to drizzle lightly.

A short while after it had begun raining, she was called to eat dinner.

The captain was nowhere to be seen, so she assumed he was already enjoying the rain.

When dinner was finished, she returned to her room on her own, beginning to get to know her way around. But after standing at her door for a while, thinking, she decided to go out in the rain.

She was glad that she was getting to know the ship better. It wasn’t that big, but there were many doors. She was so tempted to open many of them, but decided it would be smart not too. Who knows what she would find. Treasure? Dead bodies? Skulls and bones?

But she had now realized that the small staircase to the deck was a straight walk.

She stood at the glass doors for a moment and stared outside, it was pouring. Some water was coming in from underneath the door and her bare feet were getting wet.

But she didn’t mind.

She remembered what Richard said, the captain was always out during a rainstorm. Would she find him there today?

She giggled to herself at the thought of finding him dancing in the rain. But what else would he be doing? She usually dances in the rain… but knowing him and his personality, it was hard to believe that that was what he was doing.

Pushing her thoughts aside, she pulled open the doors and water rushed in. It wasn’t a lot, but it was enough to soak the bottom of her dress.

She stepped outside, closing the glass door behind her and looked up at the sky. Her whole body was soaked in moments and she suddenly felt excited. She skipped around the deck, letting the water continue to soak her, but froze when she saw a figure.