Chapter 4 - [The Captains Secret]

Nerina continued to complain as the young, blond pirate guided her to where she was to be locked up.

            “You know, princess, the more you complain, the less likely it is that the captain will be nice to you.”

            Nerina crossed her arms. “I don’t need him to be nice to me! I just want you to return me to my home.”

            “We will, we will. But if you don’t want him to kill you, you better silence yourself.” He said. He then stepped in front of her and opened a door.

            Before she could say anything else, he pushed her into the room and closed the door. She then heard a click as the door lock.

            She was about to scream and tell the man to let her out, but the room caught her by surprise.

            It was actually very nice.

            It was a small room, but nothing like what she expected it to be. The queen sized bed was covered with blue silk sheets and there was a small desk on the other side of it. Beautiful paintings hung on the wall and on the wall opposite to the door was a small window.

            This room made Nerina a little happier than she was before.

            CaptainEdward lifted off his hat as he walked towards his cabin. When he arrived at his door, he stood there, thinking.

            He knew there was something different about the face of the girl he saw at the ball. She wasn’t Aina after all.

            He sighed, deciding that he would demand for answers from Aina later today

            He opened the door and walked into his room.

The captains’ cabin was the largest room on the ship, on one of the walls was a large painting of the ship, and in large handwritten letters which said ‘Eternal’. There was a chandelier in the center of the room made fully of glass. There was one large window that was right at the back of the room which you could see the ocean well from. There were also three smaller round windows and there was a bed right under one, next to the bed was a bookshelf with many books in it and right across from the bed was a big desk with a large map on it. There were also two couches around a small round table. His walls had many paintings on it his room seemed very royal and clean, the colours in the room were mostly red, white and brown. But of course it would look like that, this ship once belonged to a very rich queen.

Edward’s grandfather’s grandfather had stolen it from her.

Captain Edward walked towards the large, picture window and stood there, arms crossed. He stayed there for the next few hours and as soon as the moon reached the very center of the sky, he turned around and exited his room.

Like every other night, he was the only one who wasn’t fast asleep at that moment. He had gotten used to it after realizing that there were certain things that were more important than sleep. When he arrived on the deck, he walked over right to the railings and looked over.

All he could see were the dark waters of the ocean.

            He sighed and turned around to lean against the railing.

            “Looking for someone?” He heard a female voice coo.

            The captain straightened himself up before peeking over the side of his ship and there she was.

            Treading in the waters was Aina.

            “Come down, my captain.” She said with a smile.

            He didn’t respond but got into one of the lifeboats and started to lower himself down.

            The second his lifeboat touched the ocean, Aina swam towards him and smiled. “You look upset.” She said.

            He watched her as she climbed into the lifeboat with him. She had long, blue hair and had a face which was almost identical to that of the girl who was sleeping somewhere inside his ship. The only real difference between them was her hair and, of course, the fact that Aina was a mermaid with a blue fishtail and Nerina was completely human.

            “You lied to me.” The captain said to her.

            “About what?” Aina asked.

            “That night, when I met you after the ball, you said you were the one who was at the ball, dancing, with the feet of a human.”

            “Oh, that.” She seemed to think of it as nothing.

            “Who is that girl, why does she look you?”

            Aina shrugged. “There is almost always a human that looks identical to a mermaid.”

            The captain wasn’t convinced. “And why did you want me to think she was you.”

            Aina placed her hand on his cheek. “Because I wanted you to see me in my human form.”

            “So was that whole story of how you get feet once every full moon a lie too?”

            “No, it was not, I just had some other important things to do, so I wasn’t able to show you this month.”

            “I still don’t understand—”

            “Shh…” The mermaid shushed, cutting him off. “Enough, my love. If you truly love me, you will not question my actions.”

            Immediately, he realized she was right. But he had one more question.

“What do I do with the girl then?”

            The mermaid raised her thin, blue eyebrow. “What girl?”

            “That girl, Nerina, I think her name was. She is on my ship.”

            “Why is she on your ship?”

            “Two of my men kidnapped her.”

            The mermaid seemed surprised, but then she smiled as she slid off the lifeboat and back into the cold water. “Keep her for a while.” She said.

            “What?” The captain asked. “Why?”

            Aina’s smile grew wider right before she pulled his collar and kissed his lips. She immediately pulled away though, knowing that that way, the captain would want her more.

            “She may be useful to you.” Aina finished. “Very useful.” With that, Aina dived back into the dark waters and disappeared.

            And like every night before this, she left the captain feeling a great deal of pleasure, but also remorse… since he knew exactly what great mess he had put himself into.