Chapter Twenty Six: Pacifica's P.O.V. The Tunnel Of Love And Corndogs

I glare judge mentally at myself in the mirror. I've never been exactly satisfied with how I look, but this is good enough, I guess. A black, loose, cropped tank top with high waisted shorts. With, of course, my favorite pair of converse. It's perfect for hot afternoon in summer.
  I escape the mansion without a single question as the clock reads 11:55am. I travel through the woods so no one gets suspicious, although I realize midway that almost everyone will be at the fair anyway.
  I knock on the door and Mabel comes rushing. She looks absolutely adorable in her outfit: a loose, purple sweater and a loose, black skirt with white polka dots. She was barefoot, which gave her a carefree, summer look.
  "Mabel, you look so cute!" I exclaim.
  Her cheeks turn pink."Thanks, love. You look great."
  "Thanks." I feel myself blush too.
  Mabel invites me in and we walk through to the back. People are just arriving to the fair.
  "Are you ready?"
  "Yup. Aren't you gonna put shoes on?"
  "Nope. Screw shoes."
  Hm. I slip off my converse and socks, stepping outside. The grass tickles my toes. I feel a sense of freedom. It's beautiful.
  She runs ahead, leading me to the tunnel of love and corndogs. Interesting title.
  "Come on, get in! It's really fun!" she cheers.
  I climb in next to her as the ride begins to move.
  And then we rode that ride three more times.
  "Hey want some cotton candy?" she asks.
  "Um, I've never had it."
  Her jaw drops immediately."You're telling me... that you've never... ever... had cotton candy?! Oh my gosh it's amazing! Here, I'll get you some! It's really sugary and sweet, just letting you know, but it's so worth it!"
  Mabel hands me a pink fluff on a plastic cone."How do you even eat it? Are you sure it's food?"
  "Like this." She picks some fluff with her fingers and sticks it in her mouth."Mmmm. Melts right in your mouth!"
  I repeat her actions."Whoa..." Speechless.
  "Good, right?"
  "It's awesome!"
  "Told you!"
  I laugh.
  Hours pass by, and before we know it, it's 6:00 and the sun is setting. People begin to leave.
  I notice Mabel has run ahead of me to the ferris wheel."Are you coming?" she shouts as she waits in line behind two people.
  "I have a fear of heights, remember?"
  "C'mon it'll be fine. These attractions may be fake, but they probably won't break down. Probably."
  "That doesn't make me feel much better." I try to wiggle out of line, but Mabel grabs hold of my hand.
  "I'll protect you."
  And so two minutes later, I find myself slowly rising from the ground into the sky on a Ferris wheel. I've never really been to a fair or a carnival, so this is new to me, but I bite my lip as the few people on the solid earth get smaller and smaller in perspective.
  "Woohoo! Isn't this fun?" Mabel cheers.
  My sweaty hand squeezes hers.
  "Don't look down, silly. Look at me. We'll be okay. Relax."
  I let my muscles relax. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Actually... it's kind of fun. Oh, Mabel. She's made me do things I would never do. Sneak out. Go on Ferris wheels. Not wear shoes. I've become a rebel... but I've also become free.
  "Thank you," I tell her. I open my mouth to say more, but she nods. She needs to hear no more. She pushes herself into me, and our lips crash.