CHAPTER EIGHT

[LATE SUMMER - AUGUST]

Today I received an official notice from the Silver Tower Council. When Sevaka came to see me at midsummer, I did my best to answer his questions honestly, although some probed into areas I had not given much thought to. His queries into my current views on Scarlet Ossuary mores, policies and goals  caught me unaware, as I really had not given them much thought, at least not consciously. My answers must have sufficed, however, as they have set an end for my parole!!   Do I manage to behave until spring, the Council will grant my release! That is far sooner than I could have ever hoped for, and I have little doubt that this is largely due to Roisin's intervention.

It has been a glorious summer! Both Roisin and I have an abundance of plants and roots laid by for the winter already and more to come. Our second crop of medicinals is tall, as is the second growth of my mint patch. We have had rain when needed and steady temperatures which, according to Alfbert, should assure a fine harvest. The farmer's fields are ripe with abundant grain. Harvest will begin in  another three or four weeks.

As Roisin would say, the future looks bright, indeed. That I would even write that phrase would have astounded me little more than a year ago.

I rarely thought of the future in my youth—the business of staying alive was enough to occupy me. While in the Scarlet Ossuary I tried not to think too far ahead. There seemed no point. I was isolated, save for my students, and there was no value in considering any change to my circumstances. The future was never anything but a continuation of the past. It was not until Heston that I began to look around me and see things for the first time that others took for granted. Only now, in the  midst of the contentment and happiness I have found here have I dared to consider a future that included anything else. It was not until Heston that I realized that I wanted a home and not until I actually began to interact with the villagers did I realize that I wanted my home  to include a family.

I took the time after Ash was abed to go back and read my earliest journal entries. How Roisin confused me! Sweet Roisin, with her openness and honest compassion, confounded me totally. I thought my outburst had driven her off, but I underestimated her. Stubborn, determined, forthright, gentle, wonderful, beautiful Roisin  saw right through me, from the very start. I was so hesitant to let her into my life. And now ... now I cannot imagine my life without her in it.

I have never thought about love, never thought myself to be in love, even in my callow youth. Yet if this that I feel toward her is not love, I mistake the emotion. Only here, in the privacy of my journal do I feel free to ponder the possibility of a life, a future with Roisin. Only recently have I allowed myself to even consider it. To have her for my own, my wife—ah, that would be something to aspire to, did I truly dare.

The very idea boggles my mind. Imagine, me, a husband—more astonishing still, a father! The very idea both thrills and frightens me. Yet, it is only a dream. I have seen no indication that it could ever be anything else. I know that Roisin cares for me as she cares for all of us, and she is certainly my friend. That, however, does not mean that there is any stronger emotion in her concerning me. Why should there be? I must be content with that, and not pine for what I cannot have.

And yet ... yet .. I cannot help but dream.

Niall watched as Ash prepared the boiler for menthol distillation. The boy did each step carefully and precisely, just as he should. Ash took great pride in his alchemical skill, and was justly proud of his contributions to their stock.

Yes, Ash was doing very well, and Niall could not be more proud of the lad. Besides his alchemy, Ash had developed an elegant hand and had a good head for numbers. He had done so well, in fact, that Niall had appointed him to keep their records. Since spring he had gained a good three inches in height and twenty pounds in weight, and Niall blessed Madame Solra's foresight in making the boy's clothes with extra room.