CHAPTER FOUR

[LATE SUMMER - SEPTEMBER]

My small business with Roisin prospers nicely. As she predicted, the villagers have enough trust in her to overcome their fear and distrust of me. The large quantity of menthol, both of our crops of devil's claw and all the wild meadowsweet we could  gather from down the road went into our salves. The older folk of Heston insist that they simply cannot get on without them once the weather turns cold. I wonder, at times, if it is not the visit from Roisin that they cannot get on without.

My suspicion is based on my own reactions. I have always been solitary and self sufficient, but that, like many other things in my life, seems to have changed. I find myself looking forward to Roisin's occasional visits, and am aware of disappointment when she does not come. Perhaps I got used to having someone about because of my students.

I find that I am not looking forward to the winter. While Roisin assures me that the weather here is mild compared to what I am used to, it is not the weather that concerns me—at least not directly. With no garden to tend or plants to harvest, I will have much free time to fill and such time palls on me. I find the binding of my magic especially galling at such times. The council made a fuss over my 'outstanding' abilities, but the truth is simply that I put more time and effort into my magic than most. I spent many solitary hours honing my spells to a fine edge. That option is no longer open to me.

Now, what shall I do with myself?

It was quite possible, even probable, that Roisin would come today. With that on his mind, after he had baked his bread, Niall had baked a goodly batch of tarts.Once that was done, he set about putting his kitchen to rights. It was a surprise when he heard a tap on his front door, for two reasons. First, because Roisin always came to the kitchen door, and second because she never knocked. Actually, she never had to, as he always met her, having heard her pony cart.

Curiosity warred for a moment with fear. Shaking his head at his own foolishness, Niall went toward the door. An enemy would hardly knock, after all. A momentary sensation of warning brought him up short. He had been about to check his visitor with magic. Niall frowned, then sighed, and reached for the door.

It opened to reveal a rather thin and unkempt pre-adolescent boy, who was plainly nervous and trying very hard not to show it. His windblown hair was light brown and his eyes—seen briefly when he glanced momentarily upward—were silvery gray. In his hands was a basket—the one Roisin normally had Niall's meat in when she came. Niall's eyes narrowed. Had the lad stolen the basket? No, no, of course not. In that case he would hardly have brought his pilfered goods here, of all places. The boy fidgeted under Niall's gaze, but did not speak.

"Well, lad," Niall finally asked in a firm tone. "Are you mute, or are you going to explain why you are here with my meats instead of Roisin?"

"OH!" The boy's gaze snapped to Niall's face and his own reddened. "Sorry, um, sir." The lad swallowed, dropping his gaze to the ground. "Miss Roisin sent me ahead wif yer basket." He held the basket out at full arms length.

Looking the boy over, Niall felt an odd pang of recognition. Too thin, not entirely clean, awkward and uneasy, the boy reminded him of someone—himself at the same age. Although much more cared for under Roisin's eye than Niall had been in his village, the boy had a look Niall recognized easily. It was that realization that brought the memory of the lad's identity.

This must be Torash, a local orphan of unknown parentage and origins. Roisin had told Niall how the boy had appeared from nowhere, half starved, about a year ago. Finding that no one was going to stone him or lock him up, the lad had stayed, but had not accepted any offers to sleep in anyone's home, including Roisin's. He kept his independence by erecting a shelter of sorts behind the General Store, and made a few pennies and food by doing odd jobs around the village. The boy told Roisin that he was about ten years when he arrived, but his exact date of birth was uncertain.