CHAPTER ONE

[EARLY SUMMER-JUNE]

I find it hard to believe that it has been two cycles of the moon since I was placed at this cottage by the marshal of the Silver Tower. I have been busy and worked myself into near exhaustion nearly every day, and so did not write in this journal. However, from now on I shall discipline myself to reestablish my practice of writing each night.

After my trial, I fully expected to die. That they would spare me was a slight possibility—that they might actually parole me was not an outcome I had even considered. Nevertheless, after a month in the dungeon, I was offered the opportunity to relocate to this small village. I am not entirely certain how I feel about this. It is not that I wanted to die, particularly, but I am not sure what they expect of me and I find myself unsettled by the uncertainty.

While the cottage they have assigned to me—or assigned me to—was in need of a new roof, they supplied all the thatch I needed and even offered to secure labor for me. I have not, however, forgotten how to lay thatch. I fed myself for many a summer by fixing roofs. The relative luxury of The Scarlet Ossuary Keep did not dull my ability to work.

I did have to be careful not to burn in the sun as I worked, however. As a child I was always brown as a berry and never needed to worry. But my duties at the keep kept me indoors almost constantly. I think I am safe now, provided I do not spend an entire day outdoors without shade. Odd, I never realized that I missed the fresh air and sunshine.

Whoever procured my wardrobe not only got the right size, but provided some color as well—blue ,red and green mostly—instead of the drab natural colors. Strange, I had  also forgotten the comfort of  simple peasant's clothes—the wool trousers, tunic and cowl. The heavy satin and brocade robes of the Scarlet Ossuary were not the most comfortable  things to wear, especially in the heat.

Once my cottage was properly roofed and cleaned, I attacked the overgrown garden. It was a pleasant surprise to find not only two active bee hives but also an artesian spring coming out of the stone, as pure and sweet as any water I have ever drank. The hard work of bringing this place back to livable condition has helped me to at least begin to adjust to the binding on my magic.

I suppose I should thank the wizard for his foresight in providing a sensation of warning before my binding actually activates the countermagic. That tingle has saved me from the  cost of using my magic—a cost I have no desire to pay. Even so, I sometimes feel as though I will scream when that insidious warning crawls up my arms.

Fortunately, Sevaka also seems to consider alchemy as apart from magic. I had asked for alchemy equipment, not really expecting to receive it. To my surprise they supplied me with the entire apparatus in duplicate. (As a good system will last for several years, I am not sure what that means in terms of my probation.) They also supplied numerous seeds for an herbal garden, some of them being non-native species that are difficult to come by.

After clearing and tilling the beds, I planted the rarest of seeds first. I then fashioned a system to irrigate my garden from the spring. Today I planted a bed of arnica. It grows wild in this area, but I choose rather to use my gathering opportunities for roots and berries I cannot grow. It will take time to survey the area and discover where to find the plants I need. It would be easier if I could ask someone local, but it seems that the boy from the general store could not even muster up the courage to deliver my goods to my door, but left them at the foot of my lane for me to bring up myself. I doubt anyone else would be any friendlier.

The problem I find myself in now is that I am beset with restlessness. No, no, tell the truth Niall. I am BORED, BORED, BORED. That will likely remain an issue, unless I can find something to occupy my time. I did notice a large stand of  peppermint behind my shed. I think that tomorrow I shall distill some menthol.