Chapter 36

A/N: Okay imagine this dress in green. That's what Georgia's wearing in this one! :D

The very next day, I got ready for the first day of my job as a hostess with a ball of nerves crowding my stomach. Landon had briefed me on the phone last night regarding my uniform which had to be unreservedly sophisticated and stylish. Henceforth, I made a decision to drape my body with a gorgeous emerald green knee length dress with side gathering and black stilettos. The end result turned out to be quite marvellous with me beaming at myself in the mirror, pretending to be the most confident and beautiful person in the world. I just wished that I wouldn't have another one of those bad days with Michael's face swimming across my vision.

Even the mere thought of Michael presenting himself in front of me out of nowhere hurt way more than anticipated.

"How do I look, baby?" I posed in front of Malcolm inside the kitchen. He was guzzling a bowl of milk and cookie crisps down his throat with mirth.

He examined me from head to toe and then, grinned. "You look pretty. Are going to a party, mom?"

I smiled and wiped off the milk that was threatening to drip down his chin. "No, I'm going to work. I have to look pretty for my new job. Isn't that cool?" My eyes momentarily rested on the box of cookie crisps and I conjectured if having breakfast would be the intelligent thing to do. I wasn't hungry, not even by a fraction.

"Yes, it's very cool." He prompted tentatively before continuing to devote his attention back to that unfinished bowl of delicious cereal.

An hour later, I was strutting inside the fancy Japanese restaurant, Itadakimasu with my head held high. I noticed how even the waiters and waitresses appeared to be straight out of some hotel management school that must have cost a fortune. Landon was crisper than before in a white and black suit and dress pants. He showed me the kitchen where chefs worked at the stations with expertise. The interior was magnificently authentic. Also, my female co-hostess was very attractive. Her name was Miranda and she was British. She taught me a few ways in which I could lure a diner to happiness and satisfaction, with excellent communicating skills of course. I was supposed to be intellectual and polite since I was going to be dealing with a lot of haughty rich people from then on.

In Miranda's words, I was supposed to not bat an eye even if they "threatened to kill me".

Well, that was reassuring, I thought with an agreeable nod.

When it was lunch time, people who were dressed up glamorously started to pour in. Miranda initiated to attend to a couple of them and feeling boosted, I followed in her footsteps. Two eye-catching men in their probable late twenties even complimented me on my abundantly alluring beauty in the first hour. I wished that one of them would ask my hand in marriage, since it was obvious by the looks of it that they came from money. A lot of money.

Two hours passed away with utter ease. I was starting to feel like things were looking up finally.

But I guess I spoke too soon and cursed myself for the same when I beheld Kyle Waters marching inside my place of work with a young man by his side, who I figured was his friend. I felt my breath hitching as I watched him laughing jovially at one of the jokes that his friend must've cracked. "Oh my God!" I anxiously whispered under my breath.

I would've asked Miranda to entertain Kyle and friend as I excused myself to a bathroom break but then, I realised that I couldn't because the former was already busy forcefully smiling at a family of four, that seemed to be giving her a hard time. Moreover, I couldn't demand an hour's bathroom break on the first day of my precious job. I had to overcome my shame and fear, I thought with a sigh and walked forth nervously.