Chapter 24

Whilst sitting on the deck with my feet dunked in the pool water, I stared off into a farfetched place quietly, feeling like a car with shattered windows sinking into the water speedily. The only place where I felt like I belonged seemed to be with Malcolm and Sienna; even Michael was an alienating element to me suddenly. I didn't know what to do, how to push away the walls that were starting to close upon me fiercely.

"What're you doing here all by yourself?" Kyle came over and sat down beside me with his feet dipped in the water.

I looked at the side profile of his face, considering that he was gazing down at the still pool water calmly. He appeared to be so handsome with those sharp facial features. Why couldn't I fall in love with him? Life would be far easier with him as my boyfriend. "I'm reflecting on my life." I replied.

He faced me with a curious frown. "Why?"

"Just because." I thought about telling the entire situation to the man in front of me, which would imply ruining any chances of commencing a romantic relationship with him. Did I want to do something like that to myself? "Have you ever fallen in love, Kyle?"

He chuckled. "Yes. Twice actually."

I smiled. "Really? What happened?"

"The first one broke up with me because she thought that I was over-bearing. I broke up with the second one because it just wasn't working out after a year."

I nodded in acknowledgement. "Did it hurt badly?"

Once again, he beheld the water rather intensely, as if walking down the memory lane briefly. "When my first girlfriend boke up with me, it was like my entire world fell apart with those mere parting words. I believed that I wouldn't be able to live without her. But it got better eventually and then I met a few girls who were with me just for fun. The second one wasn't the same as the first one though. It hurt to break up with her but not as much as the first time. But then, I guess it wasn't true love." My head jiggled again and I looked down at my feet which were submerged inside the water. "What about you?" Kyle questioned eagerly. "Was your first love Malcolm's father?" A small smile embellished my lips as I bobbed my head in agreement. Remembering my high school love with Michael was bittersweet right then. "What happened?"

I love you, Georgia!

I closed my eyes at Michael's poignant words ringing in my head like nails on a chalkboard. "I felt like he was strangling my neck the moment he told me that he couldn't be with me anymore. I just knew that I wasn't going to be the same person after his departure from life."

A moment's stillness later, Kyle spoke up. "Did it really change you?" Our eyes locked and I smiled gloomily, tears welling up in my eyes all over again.

An hour later, I was back in my hotel room, lying on the bed and ogling the ceiling like a deceased corpse. My phone rang disturbingly loudly and I desired to hurl it at the wall in front of me to make it stop buzzing obnoxiously. "Hello!"

It was Rose. "We're going to the club tonight. Be ready by seven!" The phone got disconnected right after and I gaped at the screen disbelievingly. I wondered if I wanted to tag along with the high and mighty group to a place which was somewhat of a sex club, bearing in mind that very little people would be talking there. Realizing that it was my last night in Miami, I decided to squeeze in for a couple drinks because heaven knew that I could really use alcohol in such a life crisis situation.

After two hours, I mulled over the detail that my eating habits were being devastated by a bulldozer named, Michael Gregory. The breakfast that he'd brought for me in the morning had gone straight in the trashcan and swallowing lunch seemed like the worst idea possible. Kyle and Rose had tried their best to coax me out of my room and to the restaurant where they were having lunch together. I had hung up on them without even barking a "No" as a response. I realised that I would starve and die very soon inside the hotel room if I kept up with my foolishness. For all I knew, nobody would acknowledge my absence even seconds before boarding the plane to Chicago.