Chapter 7

The next two hours weren't as much of an aggravation as I had thought them to be previously. To be honest, I had imagined myself as the lonely girl, looking for a suitable companion, to have some real fun in the midst of all the people who were genetically programmed to talk business during the party. Not that my definition of fun entailed booze, drugs and sex. It symbolised healthy, quirky conversation with someone of or near to my age.

Kyle Waters turned out to be the perfect fit.

As if his magnificent outer appearance wasn't enough of a bonus, he spun out to be a smooth talker too. After the less than casual pleasantries, he practically implored to be by my sidekick for the day and introduce me to some of the major businessmen present on the grounds, asserting that it might get boring if someone as playful as him wouldn't be there to entertain me. The suave man's charm finally worked its compelling spell on me and the next thing I knew, the both of us had our arms interlinked and were loitering around the lawn, meeting people and simply having a good time.

Michael was brooding, on the other hand. Well, that and he was occasionally communicating with a couple ladies and gentlemen, during which his disinterest was quite clear to me. I saw him risking a few dark glances at Kyle and me, but thought nothing much of it. My best guess was that he was mad about what had transpired between me, Sienna and him at my house. He might even fire me for crossing the line, I thought worriedly.

"Are you okay?" Kyle asked me as we were munching on macaroons at the snack bar.

"Yes, I'm just worried about Com-Com, you know." I answered whilst staring at Michael, who was chatting with a busty blonde fairly pleasantly, a few feet away from us.

"Ah, the dog you love so much."

I traced humour in Kyle's tone and looked at the teasing, blonde haired man with a small smile of my own. "Yes." Then, I decided to put most of my concentration on the orange coloured macaroon in my hand.

"You're really beautiful, Georgia." The compliment from the almost stranger's mouth was rather unexpected, but nonetheless, I considered that I liked it, given that butterflies were fluttering in my stomach at his positive verdict.

I simpered and took a bite of the macaroon, which was on the verge of disappearing. "Thank you, Kyle!"

"I'm glad that Michael hired such a good-looking assistant. It's a relief."

"Okay, now you're overdoing it." Kyle laughed and I followed.

"We should leave now, Georgia. Don't you think?" Michael's voice floated around the both of us all of a sudden, the intonation of which was borderline satirical.

Sighing, I faced my brooding boss with an attitude. "Sure!"

"You guys are leaving so soon?" Kyle asked in disappointment, mostly eying me, as if telepathically beseeching me to stay. The corner of my mouth twitched up in an almost smile at his theatrics, which were adorable.

Michael looked tired all of a sudden, like the burden of the entire world was over his shoulders in blink of an eye. "Yeah, man! We should leave now. I'm pretty tired and I think I've done my fair share of interaction with these stuck-up asses." He muttered and then, looked at me in anticipation.