Chapter 8

Michael was talking on the phone when I knocked on the door to his cabin, seeking permission to enter the grounds. His posture while sitting on the regal chair appeared to be tense with his back straight and shoulders stiff. Noticing my presence on the doorway, he motioned for me to enter and continued to converse in a voice which suggested that he was exhausted with the person on the other end of the line. "I have a meeting with the Organisation committee. I can't just leave it like that and go to the airport just because you asked me." For a second, our stares rammed incidentally, leaving me thoughtless. "The Gala is important, father, as you never fail to mention to me time and again." I blinked and breathed like I'd run a marathon, contemplating why I felt a heavy weight on my chest at the mention of his father. Of course, because that despicable man never liked me enough to call me over for a decent dinner. "Can't somebody else go and pick her up? Or maybe she can get a cab? It's not like she doesn't have her own house!" There was silence in the room once again, during which I felt like choking myself with my bare hands before I died of affliction because of being a thorn in his conversation with his dearest father. "Okay, I'll go. Happy? Yeah, bye!" Finally, he hung up and sighed in exasperation, covering his face with both the hands.

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "So I'm guessing that you won't be able to make it to the meeting?"

His head tipped up and faced me, notifying to me with his worn-out face that he hadn't had a good night's sleep last night. "No! But let's reschedule. Go through my routine for the day and let me know when I'll be able to assemble a meeting."

"You won't be. At least not today. You have a luncheon at one with some big-shot people from the Reliance Industries. After that, the head of the Logistics Committee has an appointment with you at half past two and then, you have to visit the site where the Gala is being held. Your approval is of utmost significance." I was empty handed, but that didn't mean that my learning skills were less than dandy. The CEO of Gregory Constructions must want nothing less than a personal assistant who was fond of less mistakes, if not perfection.

Michael scratched his head and smiled in a peculiar manner, looking almost insane with the workload that I'd just dictated to him unblinkingly in a few seconds. "What about tomorrow?"

"I don't think tomorrow is possible too. But I'll try to slash out something less important if this meeting with the Organisation Committee is that crucial to you. You can always fit that less important thing on Monday. What say?"

He stood up and shrugged on his coat jacket, which had been draped on the headrest of the chair earlier. "Thanks, that will do, I think. You're the best!" With a small smile my way, he left the room rather without warning.

Michael was gone for a span of one hour, during which I attended calls and altered his schedule mostly. At a point of time, it got so hectic that I forgot to feed myself, not because the feeling of being sacrificial was mothering me, but for the reason that the workload was weighty and hunger pangs weren't bothering me as a result of the stress.

When he returned, I willed him to leave for the luncheon soon and even after he asked me to join him, I refused, given that tagging along with him to every working destination was not my way of achieving placidity. But I did promise to accompany him to the sight of the Gala because he'd definitely need a second opinion to approve the place. At such a substantial declaration from me, Michael had considerately eyed me, asking if I was alright with making such kind of a promise. As a response, I had stared back in confusion, marvelling if it really were that big of a deal to him that I, his personal assistant was convoying him to another one of places of work. As soon as he left, I went back to attending calls, setting his professional timetable for the weekend, and studying a little bit about the company simultaneously.