Chapter 10: Discovery-Severus

I was doing my nightly rounds around the school grounds, when I found Potter and Weasley trying to drag their trunks into the castle. They were frightened to see me. I sent them to Dumbledore's office and Albus, Minerva, and I had a stern talk with the boys. They left ashamed. I walked back to my chambers. I opened the door and sitting on my couch was Hermione. She had been crying. She wiped away her tears and she stood up. In her hand was a piece of parchment. It was the letter that Bellatrix had sent me.

"You're engaged," It wasn't a question. It was a statement. "Why didn't you tell me?" I slowly approached her and took the letter from her.

"Because Bellatrix and I were forever ago. It was before Lily died, and I wanted to make her jealous. Bellatrix's husband had just been hauled away to Azkaban and her children were just buried. I thought that after a few dates, I thought that I was in love. Hermione, she means nothing to me," I said. "I love you and no one else." She shook her head.

"To think I came here to tell you that the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher tried to force himself on me," she replied, her voice cracking. "Just to find out that you have someone else's heart as well. Maybe it was a bad decision to come here after all." She walked passed me, ready to leave.

"Hermione, wait!" I begged. I ran after her. She was standing in the middle of my classroom, her back to me. "Please let me explain, Hermione. I loved Bellatrix back then, but I am in love with you now. You are my everything and I love you, Hermione Jean Granger." She slowly turned around, her eyes still overwhelmed with tears and she shook her head.

"If you loved me...then you would've said something about her before I completely fell for you," she said and she left. I ran after her, trying to explain, but she wouldn't listen to me. I followed her all the way to Gryffindor Tower, and she bid me a goodnight, but not another word came from her. My heart broke when I saw her tears. I turned and left. I drowned myself in fire whiskey, when Minerva came into my room.

"Severus, are you okay?" she asked when she saw the three empty bottles scattered on my desk. I shook my head.

"She found the letter, Minerva. She doesn't think that I love her anymore," I said groggily. I started to cry. "I love her, Minerva. So much that it hurts my heart." I saw her smile as she sat down beside me. She rubbed my back.

"Severus, everything will be okay, just give her time to understand that. She'll come around soon enough," she said. She planted a kiss on my head. "I have to go, Albus wants to see me, but I thought that'd I come and check on you before I did." I nodded my head and she left. Off to her lover, while I sulked because the love of my life wouldn't face me.