Chapter Twenty: Found

Hermione's body had been discovered laying on the floor in the library. What didn't make sense was how she had gotten there in the first place. The evening Minerva and I had gone searching for her in the woods, we had found an unearthed skeleton. She was dressed in a very old school uniforms for the Slytherin house. Minerva and I had wandered back to the castle and gave Hagrid the heads up to watch where he walked amongst the woods. He agreed and we sent a few people for the Ministry to come and collect the bones.

I walked into the Hospital Wing and sat at her bedside. She looked so odd, laying there fully dressed in her school uniform, and there was a very old handheld mirror in her hand. I was confused as to where she had gotten it from. I left it, as Poppy advised me to leave the body as it was. I sighed heavily and rubbed my thumb over her fingers. Her hand was cold and stiff like stone. She was petrified and I knew that without her, we would never know what had happened to her, or what was happening to the school.

Minerva and Albus had already discussed sending the students home and closing the school down. Only Hermione was book smart enough to know what needed to be done to end this, but unfortunately she was out of commission. Perhaps there was something I could do for her, but what? I remembered a book that I had kept in my library in my office. It was a book about monsters and such. I stood up, kissed the top of her head, and was on my way. It was Sunday, so there would be now classes. Most of the students had gone to Hogsmeade, so it was just the second and first years that were left behind in their common rooms.

I locked myself in my study and began to rummage, searching for that one book. After searching for what felt like hours, I found it. It was a very large thick book, and its contents were endless. I read through about every kind of monster there was, until I reached the letter B. In that section, I read about a Basilisk. It was an ancient serpent, known as the King of Serpents, and it could be hatched from a chicken egg being sat upon by a toad. (A.N. You find that information if you own the book, Fantastical Beast and Where to Find Them. Also by J.K. Rowling (:)

I ripped the page from the book and rushed up to go and find Albus. He was sitting in his office, Minerva was sitting on the top of his desk, laughing and drinking what appeared to be fire whiskey. "Hey, Severus," she said kindly. I thrusted the page into Albus' hands and he read through it. He handed it back to me.

"Why are you giving this back to me? We know what is petrifying our students, which means we can put an end to this." He nodded his head.

"Yes, but, Severus, how do you propose that we handle this? No one knows where the Chamber of Secrets is."

"I don't bloodly well know, Albus. You're the Headmaster, and you should do something about this!" He shook his head.

"Do you know that they have already arrested Hagrid, and that Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley have gone into the Forbidden Forest in search of Aragog?" I shook my head.

"I was not aware of this, but what do those boys have to do with this?" Albus set down his drink and stood up.

"Severus, it is rather obvious to me that these boys want to know what has happened to their dear friend. If you already know what has caused her to become this way, then you must think about what action needs to be taken."

"Well, what kind of action should I take? I mean, Hermione, can't really help me, because she is petrified." Albus nodded his head.

"Well then, use Ms. Granger somehow." I threw my hands into the air.

"And how the bloody hell can I do that?! She isn't able to move at this moment, Albus!" Minerva took a drink of her fire whiskey.

"Perhaps you can plant the evidence you have found on her? I mean, the boys know what Miss Granger is capable of when it comes to books. I'm sure they wouldn't put it passed her to find out that the thing harming their friends was indeed a Basilisk."

"But how do I tell them that it is the pipes that is the means of the Basilisk's moving from place to place? And where do I plant it on her where the boys will find it?" She sighed and took the piece of paper from my hand. Taking a quill, she dipped it in ink and scrawled 'pipes' underneath a passage. She blew on it and handed it back to me.

"Put it in her empty hand. One of those boys is bound to want to hold her hand." I grew angry at the thought of one of them holding Hermione's hand, but it was for the best. I nodded my head slowly.

"Alright, Minerva," I said as I made my way for the door. I left, without saying another word to either of them. I went back to the Hospital Wing and placed the rolled up note into Hermione's empty right hand. "My beautiful sweet, Hermione, I hope that soon, when you no longer petrified, that I can tell you all the wonderful things that I must say to you, but right now, I will tell you the one thing, that I will always hope that you know, and that is that I love you with all my heart, and that my heart will always be yours." I kissed her hard stone-like lips and left with haste, before Poppy could discover me there.

I went back to my chambers and began to read a book, when I heard the sound of the pipes banging loudly. I stiffened and closed the book. I hurried to bed and locked the door behind me. I went to sleep, dreaming of Hermione and the fearful Basilisk.

*Hey guys! Sorry it has been so long, but I am back now and am trying to get everything as updated as possible, but hey, better late than never right! ;) enjoy guys, because I am hoping to have some more things updated very soon.*