Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The weeks seemed to blur together for Keegan. She went to school, trained, and sometimes went out. She didn’t feel like going out, but her mother made sure she spent time with her friends. Her mom brought them all movie tickets, bowling passes, and once she even got them tickets for miniature golf. Her friends thought she had the coolest mom ever. So much for her mother not spoiling her. Sometimes Keegan thought her mother was testing her. Why else would she be so unnecessarily generous?

Although Keegan had to admit she’d remembered to say thank you more often. Seeing how excited her friends got over the gifts made her realize she probably didn’t genuinely appreciate all the things she had.

Emerald was tremendously impressed with the progress her sisters had made in three months. She was even more blown away by Keegan. She wasn’t aware of how much she’d advanced. She was also an excellent instructor. Katrina and Brigid learned at a fast pace because Keegan had a knack for making things seem easy.

Keegan held the pad up for Katrina as she worked on her foot strikes.

Katrina glanced slyly at Emerald and said, “So Emerald, I think I’m ready to take you.”

Emerald grinned. “It’s about time.”

Katrina said, “I’ll grab the headgear.”

“Don’t bother,” Emerald said. “I’m a healer, remember.”

Brigid smirked and settled against the wall. “This I gotta see.”

Katrina walked towards the middle of the room. She was thinking, Come on, Kat, you can do this. You have the advantage of knowing her next move.

Emerald thought of the song Three Blind Mice. She knew it would distract Katrina, who could hear her thoughts.

Katrina turned around and Emerald yanked her shoulder down, delivering an intensely painful knee strike to her solar plexus. Doubling over, Katrina took an elbow to the side of her face. Her blood splashed across the floor.

“Really, sis, you didn’t think I would forget you were a mind reader did you?” Emerald said. She stepped back several paces to let her sister get back up.

That little bitch, Katrina thought as she ran towards her sister. Emerald ran towards her at the same time; one hand slammed her chest as the other arm drove an elbow into Kat’s throat. It happened so quickly Katrina was knocked off balance and landed on her ass.

“Are we done here?” Emerald asked.

Katrina looked up and said, “Yes, we’re done.”

Emerald reached down to help her sister up. Katrina delivered a heel kick to the inside of her thigh. Emerald dropped to her knee, “Very nice,” she said and then she slammed her forehead into her sister’s head.

Kat saw stars. “Okay, okay, I’m really done this time.”

“I have to say, Katrina, I’m impressed.”

Wiping the blood off her face, Katrina said, “Whatever! You kicked my ass.”

“Yes, but you took the lesson and used it. The element of surprise.” Emerald smiled, “Another lesson. You couldn’t have read my mind if you tried. I have been doing this for so long it is a reaction, there is no thought.”

Katrina was puzzled. “Well. Why did you sing?”

Emerald wiped her mouth after she took a swig of water and replied, “It was actually two lessons in one. You can’t rely on your gift, and it also distracted you. Anytime you can distract your opponent, do it.”