Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Keegan had never realized how absolute the silence was in the minutes before dawn. Maybe it was because the air was filled with the expectation of battle, but not even birds sang.

Her heart was pounding as she stood silent with the other women and children. They watched as the soldiers crested the hill and disappeared to the battlefield.

As the sun lightened the sky, a thunderous battle roar echoed through the valley, followed by the unmistakable sound of swords clashing.

The battle had begun.

The camp fell to chaos. She was too far from the battle to see the actual fighting, but she could hear it. The noises and smells overwhelmed her senses. The clanging of steel against steel, the screams, and an overall eerie feeling filled her body. The coppery smell of blood filled the air.

It wasn’t long before the wounded began to drift back in. The first soldier that arrived for her mother to heal was so young; she immediately thought of Rourk. She pushed the negative thoughts away. He would be fine. He had to be.

“Katrina, what can I do?” Keegan asked as Katrina hurried up to Emerald, a dark bottle in her hands.

Falling to her knees next to her sister, Katrina opened the bottle to pour into the man’s wounds. “Grab some towels and bring them over here. After that, help tend to the wounded. I know you can’t heal them, but you can do basic first aid while they are waiting for a healing.”

Keegan rushed off to help, the reality of war starting to hit her.

***

Richard was in his element. His fingers tingled as he touched his weapon of choice. This time it was the Kusarigama, a sickle and chain combo that originated in Japan as early as the twelfth century. A thick fog blanketed the green rolling hills, reducing visibility to only two or three feet. It had gotten to the point where Richard was unsure if one of his weather manipulators had caused the fog, or the dark elves.

Many of the dark elves had chosen larger, heavier-bladed weapons. Those weapons needed to be swung with considerable force to be effective. In the fog, they risked hitting their own kind as much as hitting the enemy. The Kusarigama felt like it was alive. The way it blocked, entangled and then killed each opponent brought into its path was like a dance, with Richard moving naturally along, exerting just enough energy to avoid tiring too soon. He killed many dark elves that day.

Thaddeus was grateful for the fog of war. One of the gifted had covered the battlefield in fog so that one could see only the person they were directly engaged with. He could concentrate better this way. The one-on-one was better for him. When he could see all the fighting around him, it was distracting to see flashes of the others’ deaths. His visions helped when he was facing off with only one enemy.

A flash of his opponent’s head flying caused Thaddeus to raise his sword and swiftly bring his blade down to sever the man’s head, and then it was on to the next. He felt slightly exhilarated.

Rourk felt nothing. All that was running through his head was to kill as many of the bastards as he could. He had never felt so relaxed in his life. It was almost as if his body was floating, although he knew he was firmly planted on the ground.

He wished the fog would lift so he could take on more than one at a time.

The battle raged on all day. Eventually the fog lifted; it didn’t last too long. Scores were killed on both sides. The noise was deafening.

Emerald was consumed with healing, along with all the other healers. They saved countless lives, but there were also those that were beyond help. It was hard for her to see the young soldiers she was unable to save. The older soldiers she knew died doing what they loved. They would be remembered as heroes; it’s what all great warriors hoped for. To die during the great battle brought even more honor.

Night descended upon them and relief was felt throughout the camp. Everyone was exhausted and in need of a hot meal and sleep. Keegan helped served food to the soldiers. The men looked a mixture of exhilarated and exhausted. Energy was definitely coursing through the camp. In every face she looked into, she longed to see Rourk’s grey eyes, but it was not to be.

Keegan ran into the three cats as she was carrying another platter of food to the soldiers. Once she approached them, they morphed into their human forms. They were talking excitedly between themselves about the battle and how it was cool.

“Hey Keegan,” Sam said.

“You guys look like you enjoyed yourselves,” she told them quietly, still in shock herself.

“Keegan, it is amazing out there. I feel like a different person. I’m so focused, and my senses are hyper aware. I can’t really explain it, but it’s amazing.” Sam looked down at the ground when he finally stopped talking.

“Well, glad you guys are enjoying yourself. Be careful out there tomorrow. I have to finish passing out food. I’ll let you guys get back to your war stories.”

They said goodnight and continued on with their excited chatter.

Looking up and seeing the huge orange moon, Keegan realized it was her birthday. Usually she made a big ordeal of it, reminding everyone not to forget to get her a gift. This year she thought she would give up all her birthdays if they could just prevail in the battle.

After helping clean up, she headed to her tent ready to fall into a deep sleep. Bending down to crawl in the tent, she was greeted with an exuberant ‘happy birthday’ and a homemade cake.

Her mother came over and gave her a hug. “Your Jeep is waiting in the driveway.”

Keegan smiled, but knew she’d give up everything she owned for this madness to end.

After having a slice of cake, she climbed into her sleeping bag. She felt something scratch her, so she reached down and pulled out a piece of paper.

It was a note:

Keegan, I am sorry I could not spend your special day with you. I will make it up to you. Forever Yours, Rourk.

Pressing the letter to her chest, she felt a tear drop down her face as she drifted off to sleep.