Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

There were many preparations that needed to be made. Richard looked down at his watch. It was 0300. He picked up his iPhone and texted his brother-in-laws a simple message: CAMP NOW. He then hesitated before sending a text to Rourk: CAMP NOW, BRING YOUR FATHER.

Groggy from sleep, Rourk heard his phone go off. He flipped it open and saw the text, and was instantly awake. He threw on the clothes he wore the day before, unworried whether they were clean or not. Fully alert, he walked to his father’s room and didn’t bother to knock. “Richard needs us,” he called into the dark.

His father bolted out of bed. With haste, he got ready, and the two men left to make the drive to camp. They arrived just as the other men did. 

Richard looked at Rourk, and told him, “You’ve been relieved of your duty.” 

Rourk’s face did not change. His mind raced. Did he find out I killed that guy? He could think of nothing else he’d done that would cause his dismissal. He felt a dull ache in his heart at the thought of not seeing Keegan again.

“Thaddeus has had a vision,” Richard said. All eyes turned to Thaddeus where he sat with his hands clasped in his lap and his face serene. 

“I have seen the place and date of the Great Battle,” Thaddeus said, his voice strong and sure. The men all looked slightly surprised, glancing around at each other in shock, and eager to learn more. “We have five months to prepare. September twelfth during the harvest moon, our battle will be raging.” 

They all had questions, but knew it was pointless to ask. 

Richard stepped forward, commanding the room. “This obviously gives us the upper hand. We must prepare our men. With this knowledge, I feel we will prevail.” 

Drew, smiling, replied, “Save your pep talks for the soldiers.” 

Richard grinned, “You’re right, force of habit.” 

They all relaxed and sat down as equals to discuss the preparations. They were all powerful men, but the one who held the most power was the youngest—Thaddeus. Rourk was glad he was on their side. 

Rourk was relieved to know Richard wasn’t angry with him and he was honored to be among the small group making preparations for the battle. Rourk also knew he had to push Keegan out of his thoughts for now. He needed to be 100% focused on what lay ahead. Of course, keeping Keegan off his mind was going to be extremely difficult. She’d been thinking about him almost constantly since the concert. Rourk knew if they didn’t win this battle he would never have the pleasure of getting to know her. 

They had to win.

***

Keegan woke up knowing she’d had no dreams the night before. Usually she looked forward to it, but she didn’t want to go to school. Everyone paled in comparison to Rourk. She had to figure out a way to find him. He obviously didn’t live too far away if he was at the concert. She was still puzzled by the fact that he was there. Her mother would say that it was fate. Keegan thought it was a bit too much of a coincidence.

Keegan and her mother were still not talking after the jean incident. They both were so stubborn that sometimes they would stay angry for days. Keegan was anxious to tell her about Rourk. She came down the stairs to find her mother sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper over a mug of tea. 

“Mom, I’m sorry.” She really didn’t know what she was apologizing for, but she knew it was the quickest way to get back in her good graces.