Chapter 6

Chapter 6

They had trained as a family for as long as Keegan could remember. She just never took to it, which seemed to disappoint her parents. Unfortunately for her, now she had to focus and practice for real.

Thaddeus decided that since she was rusty, they should start with swords, her least favorite. Keegan tried to protest but knew it was useless, and being left-handed left her at a disadvantage in most things, not to mention her lack of coordination. Grabbing the training swords, they went over the same kata for what seemed like a thousand times. It was no more than drawing the sword, a single strike and re-sheathing it. At first, she was bored and just wanted it over with, but soon the movement became almost relaxing, and the motion seemed fluid as her mind cleared.

“Keegan, we’re done,” Thaddeus said, leaning to pack away the tools they had worked with during their training.

“Huh? We just started,” Keegan protested, the tip of her sword resting on the ground.

Thaddeus looked at her funny. “Check out the clock.”

Keegan was surprised when she looked at the clock and saw how much time had passed. It hadn’t felt like any at all.

Weeks passed between school, training, taking pictures, and hanging out with her friends and the time seemed to fly by. Her father was gone again. She had no idea where he went—just that he was gone for weeks, and sometimes months, at a time. Eventually, he showed up and often with a new scar.

Keegan walked through the door one day and saw her father sitting at the table in front of his MacBook.

“How was school?” he said, giving her a big smile through his beard.

Keegan tossed her backpack on the floor, crossing the kitchen to search for a drink in the fridge. “Same as usual, nothing too exciting.”

“Come have a chat with your old man.” He patted the table next to him.

“Dad, what do we have to talk about? I know you’re not going to tell me where you’ve been.” Keegan grinned, looking back at him over her shoulder with her face in the refrigerator.

“You would just think it was boring if I did.” Richard shrugged.

“Uh, huh. I’m sure a secret mission to save us from destruction would be boring. Do you want a drink?” She grabbed a couple of sodas and sat across from her dad.

“Your brother told me you are making great progress.”

Trying to hide her surprise, Keegan shrugged. “I don’t really care what he thinks.”

“Then why are you trying not to smile?”

She was quite amused at the sheer pleasure she felt from those simple words.

Keegan’s mother came through the door, arms laden with bags of groceries. “Richard, would you mind getting the rest of the bags from the car?”

She looked frazzled. Keegan grabbed a dangerously listing bag from her before it hit the floor. “What’s wrong?”

Her mother stared at her, raising an eyebrow as she put her bags on the kitchen table. “I still have so much to do and everyone is going to be here in two hours.”

Taken aback, Keegan said, “Umm, everyone is going to be here for what?”

Keegan’s mom looked at her like she was an alien. “How could you forget? Today is your cousin Merrick’s birthday and the party is here.”