Chapter 9

"What do you want to drink?" Jackie called from where she stood in the kitchen of Harry's Kensington Palace apartment.

"Surprise me," Harry answered from the sitting room.

Jackie mixed some soda and liquor together, carrying two glasses out to the living room where Harry was lounging on the couch. She was spending the night as his flat that night. The couple usually rotated nights. It seemed pointless to live apart, but Jackie's mother, Mary, had always said she should live on her own until she married. It was ridiculous, but it was important to Jackie to follow her mother's advice.

"What time are you waking up tomorrow?" Jackie asked. She handed Harry a drink and plopped down on the couch next to him, his arm instantly going around her shoulders.

"I don't have to be in until 9," Harry said, taking a sip of his drink. He coughed loudly, causing Jackie to jump. After a minute of spluttering he laughed. "This is strong."

Jackie grinned. "Sorry, I thought you could handle your liquor."

"I've lost it with old age," Harry said gruffly. He took a long drink, draining his glass, and gave a small bow.

Jackie clapped, then said, "What will you be doing?"

"Oh, it's a flight simulation, the first time since I've been promoted to CPG."

"That sounds like fun. How do you simulate it?"

"It's not really a simulation, I suppose. We fly and shoot at targets."

Harry had become a certified co-piolt gunner (CPG) just three days before, during the first week of February. He was incredibly excited, Jackie knew how much his military career meant to him. She had outwardly showered him with support, cooking him his favorite dinner and dessert (filet and chocolate cake). But inside, a growing sense of worry had failed to subside. She was absolutely terrified Harry would be deployed. And now, as a CPG and a captain, there was an increased chance it could happen. She knew he was good at what he did, and she loved to see him so happy and excited, but the thought of losing him was too much to bear.

"Do you think I could come watch?"

"You would want to?" Harry asked, looking a bit surprised.

"Of course I would!" Jackie said with sincerity. "I'm so proud you've been promoted, and I want to see what you do." Plus, seeing Harry fly with skill could give her some peace of mind.

Harry beamed. "I'll have to ask my commodore, but I'm sure he'll make an exception for you."

---

The roar of a military jet soaring overhead made Jackie's ears feel as though they were going to explode, but she refrained from covering them. Harry's Commodore had approved Jackie coming out to watch the flight simulation. She was apprehensively standing about in a massive hangar about fifty yards from the helicopter pad, where Harry appeared to be checking the exterior of the huge apache helicopter.

"He's doing his equipment check, standard procedure. He needs to know the helicopter is in perfect condition on his own, as there won't always be mechanics handy in the field," explained a young airman assigned to keep Jackie safe on the Royal Air Base just outside of London.

Jackie nodded. "Would he be expected to fix one?"

"Only minor repairs."

She watched as Harry and his copilot climbed into the helicopter with ease, pulling the glass door closed. She was amazed with how focused he was on what he was doing. It warmed her heart to see Harry doing what he loved, and for a moment, it was if what he was doing wasn't incredibly dangerous. Minutes passed, Harry and the copilot flipping switches and pushing buttons.

Then, the blades began to spin, faster and faster until they made a continuous gray circle above the helicopter, blowing the grass down in waves and causing Jackie's hair to fly back from her face despite the distance. The helicopter slowly lifted from the ground, rising high enough that Jackie had to crane her neck to see it, before zooming off to the "range", where they would be shooting at fake targets.

About twenty airmen and multiple military leaders were supervising, evaluating Harry and his copilot. The small crowd was gathered in the adjacent hangar, giving Jackie some privacy. She looked casual in a black jacket and jeans, her favorite wellies on her feet, with big black sunglasses shielding her eyes. Her shoulder length blonde hair was in its natural waves, the top half pulled back with a clip. She didn't want to draw attention to herself, most importantly because she wasn't sure how she was going to react to seeing Harry flying.

"Look." The airman pointed, but Jackie didn't need him to. The air boomed with a loud crack, a cloud of dust rising from the range. She watched as the helicopter rained gunfire down to the ground, an odd tightness rising in her chest. She didn't like how unstable the helicopter appeared, how close it was to the explosions it caused, and especially, that Harry was inside, wearing only a flight suit and helmet to protect him.

After only about ten minutes of flying, the helicopter circled back around from the range, landing on the concrete pad like a feather. The blades slowed to a stop, the door opened, and out came Harry and his copilot. Jackie could hear applause and whistles from the airmen in the adjacent hangar, and she could see the approving nods of the military higher-ups. Harry and his copilot saluted them before exchanging a round of handshakes.

"We can go over now," the airman said, motioning for Jackie to lead the way. She walked with quick and deliberate steps, all of a sudden feeling very unstable. She felt as though all her blood had drained from her body, leaving her cold and nauseous. But, there were people around. She couldn't show any emotion or someone might speak to the press. Jackie forced a smile as she neared Harry. Her fiancé looked absolutely radiant, he had clearly succeeded. She greeted him with a quick, tight hug and a kiss on the cheek, whispering, "Congratulations." Luckily, her sunglasses shielded her eyes, which were full of worry.

"Thank you," Harry put an arm around Jackie as he turned to his copilot, a man who looked about his age. He was handsome, a bit taller than Jackie, who was 5'9", with neat black hair, brown eyes, and nose that looked as though it had been broken in a fight, leaning slightly to the left. "This is my copilot, David Abbott."

David held out hand, which Jackie shook with a smile. "It's so nice to meet you, David."

David grinned with the same sparkle in his eyes as Harry. "You too, Jackie, I've heard a lot about you."

"Only good things, I hope," Jackie joked, trying to fight the tremor in her voice.

Harry's arm tightened around her. "Always."

Jackie, Harry, and David chatted on the tarmac for a few moments before Jackie was given a "tour" of the helicopter. Then, to her relief, Harry and David were due for group training, meaning Jackie could drive back to the palace.

She said goodbye to David before turning to Harry. He held open his arms, which she came into with force that cause Harry to let out a surprised laugh. She hugged him tightly, resting her chin on his shoulder. She felt the urge to cry creeping up, so she gave him a firm kiss. "I love you. See you tonight."

Harry nodded. "I love you too."

Seeing Harry fly had the opposite effect she had hoped, it had only further unsettled her thoughts about his military career. Jackie barely made it back to the privacy her car where she was able to dissolve into tears.

---

Any suggestions? I'm a bit lost on what should happen, so I would love to hear what you all would like to see!