Chapter 2

"Ms. Baker?"

Jackie cracked the door to her brand new Kensington Palace flat just enough to poke her head out. She squinted until her eyes adjusted to the bright light of the hallway, where a woman stood, clipboard in hand.

When the woman didn't speak, Jackie said, "Yes?"

"My name is Elizabeth Davidge, I trust your social secretary informed you I would be arriving at 8 o'clock for you lesson?" Elizabeth Davidge looked to be in her mid-50s. Her blonde hair, speckled with gray, was pulled back into a neat french twist, her makeup minimal, and she wore a neat red Chanel suit, complete with hose and a pair of low kitten heels. Jackie couldn't help but to notice that there were deep frown lines in Elizabeth's skin, but not a trace of a smile line.

"I don't have a social secretary, I usually make appointments through email." Jackie opened the door to her flat, motioning for Elizabeth to come in. When the woman didn't move, Jackie had to force the displeasure out of her voice and said, "Please, come in."

Elizabeth stepped inside, her lips pressed tightly together. Jackie went around to all the windows of the very formal sitting room, throwing open the long silk curtains to let in the morning light. "What are you here for, exactly?"

Elizabeth stood very properly near the door, her clipboard held tightly to her chest. "I am here for your lessons."

"My lessons for what?" Jackie asked. She folded her arms across her chest, still in her pajamas. Elizabeth's sharp, incessant knocking on her door had barely been enough to drag Jackie out of her bed that morning.

"For training. I was contacted through the Palace to give you a day-long course in proper etiquette and social technique."

Jackie frowned. It was almost offensive- did the Queen think she was some sort of uncultured slob? "I'm sorry- I was never notified."

Elizabeth didn't reply.

Jackie sighed. "Why don't you give me about ten minutes to get ready- take a seat and make yourself at home."

"Wear something with a skirt, and a pair of heels, if you don't mind," Elizabeth added frostily.

She hurried through a short hallway into her new bedroom, then into the dressing room. All of Jackie's belongings had been moved from her old flat into Kensington Palace in the dead of night two days after Christmas, ensuring the tabloids wouldn't get ahold of the story. It was only Jackie's first morning in her new flat, and already, she had a stranger barging in at 8 in the morning. Jackie dressed in a simple cream shift dress before she pulled her shoulder length blonde hair back with a headband on put on a bit of mascara.

By the time Jackie reentered her sitting room, this time fully dressed, a new face had joined Elizabeth.

"Kate, what are you doing here?"

Kate smiled as she demonstrated a flawless curtsy. "I'm here for a refresher course in 'Duchess 101', not that I need it."

Jackie scowled. "I'm not sure I do either."

Her lips tightened as Elizabeth seemed to struggle to hold back a scoff. "Well, Ms. Baker, Your Highness, I am here to give Ms. Baker a lesson in proper etiquette and social behavior. Her Majesty asks that each new member of the Royal Family receives the same lesson before their social debut."

Jackie nodded. "Sounds fair enough."

Elizabeth gave a curt nod. "Well, Ms. Baker, let's start off simply. How would you introduce yourself to an important person at a charity event you are attending?"

Jackie brought a finger to her mouth and chewed on her nail, a nervous habit of hers.

Elizabeth snapped her finger. "Control yourself. Hand out of your mouth."

Jackie and Kate exchanged small smiles, Jackie straightening up putting her hands firmly at her sides.

"Now," Elizabeth said with a sniff. "Greet me."

"How are you today, Elizabeth?" Jackie asked, holding out a hand.

Elizabeth looked at Jackie's hand disdainfully and let out a sigh. "We have a lot of work to do."

---

"Legs together, Ms. Baker! Though the photographers may appreciate a glance at your undergarments I can assure you, I do not!"

Jackie giggled as Elizabeth snapped her fingers twice, a signal Jackie learned meant 'do it again!' She climbed back into the Range Rover that had been parked just outside of the doors Kensington Palace for her lesson.

"I don't wear undergarments, Elizabeth!" Jackie called through the open window.

"Honestly, Ms. Baker, I'm not surprised. However, I suggest you start to, I'm sure Her Majesty will thank you. Knees clamped firmly together!" Elizabeth reminded.

"Jackie's no good at that," Kate said from beside Elizabeth with a sly grin.

Jackie laughed and rolled her eyes before she opened the door once again, clamping her legs together and swinging her feet to the ground in unison.

"Finally! She's done it properly!" Elizabeth said, her voice dripping with its usual sarcasm. She turned to Kate. "Let's give her a round of applause, Your Highness."

Kate laughed as she and Elizabeth applauded Jackie's first successful attempt at properly getting out of a car. Jackie gave a good natured curtsy, with proper form, of course. "Okay, okay, let's move on."

"Since you have just learned how to get out of a car, you can learn how to properly arrive at an event with your future husband." Jackie smiled at Harry being called her future husband as Elizabeth continued. "Ms. Baker, Your Highness, would you please get into the back of the car."

Jackie and Kate slid in together while Elizabeth remained on the driveway. "Now, Your Highness, you will play Prince Harry, Ms. Baker, you will play yourself. You have just arrived at the premiere of Ms. Baker's one-woman-show, a rendition of Pretty Woman."

Jackie scoffed at Elizabeth comparing her to an American prostitute.

"His Royal Highness will always get out of the car first, and Ms. Baker will always follow about two to three feet behind him."

Kate climbed from the car and walked with a slow, wide gait, winking and pointing finger-guns at an imaginary crowd. Jackie followed as Elizabeth instructed, feeling like a loyal dog staying close to its owner.

Elizabeth's mouth stayed in a firm line, but her eyes showed a hint of a smile. "If His Royal Highness decides to speak to someone, you will be required to stop or slow your pace accordingly."

Jackie pursed her lips. "Elizabeth, this is the 21st century, I am not going to trail behind my husband like a dog. Catherine doesn't, and Will is the future King."

Elizabeth raised a neat eyebrow. "Her Majesty is very traditional, and so am I. The proper thing to do-"

"Well I-" Jackie pointed to Kate- "we- are not old fashioned." She winked at Elizabeth, whose stony facade was beginning to crack. "Perhaps you have a few things to learn."