Chapter 7

A loud beeping broke Jackie's deep sleep. She could feel movement in the bed next to her, and opened her eyes to see Harry's dark shape reaching to shut off the bright alarm clock on the side table next to her bed.

"What time is is?" Jackie whispered.

"4:30. Go back to sleep."

Jackie frowned. "Where are you going?"

She could hear Harry's soft laughter. "I've got more flight training. We talked about this."

"Oh, that's right." Jackie's eyes were heavy as she sat up to give Harry a tight squeeze and a kiss. "Good luck."

"Thanks. Should I set the clock for you?" he asked.

Jackie flopped back down onto the pillows. "For 7, please. I'm meeting with your grandmother at 9 for brunch at Buckingham Palace."

"For what?" Harry asked, climbing from Jackie's bed and fumbling around in the dark for his clothes.

"She didn't tell me."

"Well good luck to you, then." Jackie could hear Harry open the door. "I love you."

She smiled into her pillow. "I love you too."

---

Jackie was awoken later that morning by the alarm Harry set for her. She rolled from bed and forced herself to get in the shower without lounging around first. She then blew her hair dry into large, loose curls before adding her usual light makeup.

In the walk in closet, Jackie chose an old favorite dress of her's, just a simple cream one, and added a new pair of nude, pointed toe heels. She slid her engagement ring onto her finger and clipped on her mother's necklace.

By the time Jackie was finished getting ready, it was nearly 8:30. She found Elizabeth sitting at her dining room table, equipped with her usual smart briefcase and firm gaze. "You're late!"

"It only takes 13 minutes to get to Buckingham Palace!" Jackie said, trying to convince herself.

Elizabeth raised a thin brow. "I suppose we'll see. Come on then, I have a car waiting."

Jackie and Elizabeth walked with a hurried pace to the car that waited outside. They both slid into the back seat, Jackie fiddling with her ring and Elizabeth drawing out a small leather bound notebook.

"Let's see, you take about an hour and a half getting ready on your own from start to finish," she mumbled, nearly filling a page with small, neat cursive. "I can find you a few stylists who'll be able to get it done in less than a third of that time."

"Do you think I need one?" Jackie asked.

"Absolutely, when you begin taking on engagements. It would be more of a luxury now, but when you have important events I think it would be practical."

Jackie nodded. She never would have thought of interviewing stylists. That's why she had Elizabeth. Though Ms. Elizabeth Davidge wouldn't be officially announced as Jackie's lady in waiting until after the wedding, she had begun to work full time. Jackie had never felt so organized in her life.

The car pulled through the gates of Buckingham Palace after 12 minutes of driving. Jackie and Elizabeth were let out of the car, before a staff member led them through a series of hallways to the Queen and a Prince Philip's residence.

"I'll be in the offices," Elizabeth said, giving Jackie's arm a firm squeeze. "Remember your table manners, and everything will be fine. I'll be waiting outside when it's through."

"But how will you know-" Elizabeth had already disappeared around the corner before Jackie could finish speaking. The door to the residence was opened from the inside.