Chapter 3

"I don't think we should have anything too busy in the background," Kate said, fiddling with the camera strap around her neck. "We want the attention to be on you two."

Jackie and Harry were standing in the sitting room of her Kensington Palace apartment, dressed fairly formally. Harry wore a charcoal gray suit with a white shirt and black tie, Jackie in the white Chanel dress Harry had bought her for her first Garden Party. Her mother's small diamond pendant was clipped around her neck, and her massive diamond engagement ring had been polished for the occasion.

"This is supposed to be the formal shot, so, not as relaxed as yesterday," Kate instructed.

Jackie and Harry were posing for their official engagement photos. Kate loved photography, and Jackie didn't want to go through the hassle of choosing a photographer, so she decided Kate was her girl. Yesterday, Kate had snapped the perfect casual photo of Jackie and Harry in the Kensington Palace garden. Harry's arms were wrapped tightly around Jackie, and her left hand was placed on his chest in a way that perfectly showed off her engagement ring.

"Why don't you go in front of that window, that way I can focus the lens so it's just light behind you."

Jackie and Harry moved over to a large, white-paned window. Harry put his arm around Jackie's waist, Jackie reaching her left hand out and resting it on his stomach. "They're going to think these are my maternity shots," Harry laughed, puffing out his stomach under Jackie's hand.

Jackie laughed. "Then how do you suggest I showcase my ring?"

"Why don't you hold on to his arm, just above his elbow," Kate suggested, standing back for a proper view. Jackie did as she was told, and Harry's hand naturally fell on her arm at the same spot she held his. Kate clapped. "Perfect! Now smile!"

It didn't take long for the perfect shot to be decided on. Harry wore his usual wide grin, his eyes sparkling. Jackie looked a bit more demure with a sweet, closed mouth smile and kind eye. Kate's camera flash illuminated Jackie's ring, casting a million sparkles from the huge diamond.

"Perfect!" Jackie gushed.

"Granny wants to look at them with us, and she also wants to speak with you about assigning a staff," Harry noted. "She's arriving at noon."  

"She's coming all the way to London for us?" Jackie asked, a bit shocked.

"All the way from Sandringham," Harry confirmed. "She has other things to take care of while she's in for the day, but we're top of her list." 

---

"These are absolutely wonderful photos," the Queen said with the same sparkle in her eyes Jackie often saw in Harry's. "I trust you've expressed your appreciation to Catherine?" 

"Of course," Jackie responded. She and Harry were sitting side by side in Jackie's Kensington Palace apartment. She was absolutely terrified of something going wrong while hosting the Queen, but so far, so good. Harry's grandmother had complimented the tea Jackie had brewed herself in the gleaming kitchen, and primly sipped it while sitting on one of the over-stuffed cream antique armchairs. Jackie's apartment had come fully decorated in pleasant tones of white, creams, and pale blues. 

"Have you put any thought into the date of the interview?" the Queen asked. 

Harry spoke up. "We were thinking my secretary, Michael, could contact BBC tomorrow morning, and have the interview in two days."

"So that means the engagement will be officially announced tomorrow?" asked the Queen.

Jackie and Harry nodded. The Queen beamed. "It's all settled then. I'll have the Royal Chamberlain write up an announcement. Of course, he'll allow you both to approve it first." The Queen raised a hand. "Oh- Jackie. That reminds me. I want to get you a lady in waiting, to keep all of your affairs in order." 

Jackie remembered what Elizabeth had taught her and relaxed her face in order to hide her surprise. "And how will I go about finding one?" 

"Well, do you have anyone in mind?" the Queen asked. "Someone organized, well versed in the world of the Firm-" ('the Firm', Jackie had come to learn, was what the members of the royal family referred to the family as) "-who can give you trustworthy, objective advice?"

Jackie wanted to laugh. The 'checkmarks' for a proper lady in waiting were numerous. How could she find someone with all the qualities? Someone anally organized, who knew what was what, and that would never lie to save Jackie's feelings... A lightbulb turned on in Jackie's head. 

"Actually, I do know someone who would be perfect for the job," Jackie realized aloud with a smile. 

"Wonderful. Give my secretary her name and phone number and we'll offer her the job." The Queen stood, a signal that had both Jackie and Harry on their feet in an instant. "I have to get going now, but I wish you both the best of luck during your interview, and in the years to come." 

Jackie curtsied and Harry gave his grandmother a peck on the cheek before she was followed from the apartment by her usual posse. 

"Who are you choosing for your lady in waiting?" Harry questioned. 

Jackie grinned and retrieved her phone from an end table in her sitting room. She scrolled through her contacts before finding the correct number. The line rang twice before a familiarly sharp voice answered. 

"Ms. Elizabeth Davidge? It's Jackie. I have a favor to ask."